News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have not posted much lately so I thought it was time to share a new piece. This is from Saturday. I was thinking that it may be one of the third type of EK2. No documents so no proof. The bar is nice and tight and does not appear to be messed with. My only question is the two LS medals. Is this possible? This one has just a little wear to it the way I like it.

Thanks,

Chet

Guest Rick Research

Classic misinterpretation of the October 1936 "two WEHRMACHT long service awards may be worn..." rules. He should, in fact, only be wearing the XXV. But at least this way we know that he was either a Deck Officer or a long serving Petty Officer/army NCO retired as a "Leutnant aD" after the war.

Nice bar! :beer:

Guest Rick Research

Yup-- precisely the same "October 1936" misinterpretation. He got that M1913 IX in 1913 or 14 before the war... and upon discharge, with double wartime, had the XV-- and that's why there's a 'skipped" XII. :cheers:

I have a group where the NCO got a 1920 XII and in the Luftschutzpolizei in the next war, slipped in two plain blue ribbons on his ribbon bar to pad it out... for an imaginary IX that he never received! :cheeky:

Guest Rick Research

Could well be BUT

we see far more medal bars with "combatant" EK and "noncombatant" Hindenburg Cross than would seem to be that under-7,000-awarded category.

I suspect-- and without award documents or the recipients' service records, we will never KNOW--that these are the

Boonzaierian 4th Type:

over the borders in enemy territory, but behind the lines awards.

Could well be BUT

we see far more medal bars with "combatant" EK and "noncombatant" Hindenburg Cross than would seem to be that under-7,000-awarded category.

I suspect-- and without award documents or the recipients' service records, we will never KNOW--that these are the

Boonzaierian 4th Type:

over the borders in enemy territory, but behind the lines awards.

Well, the book quoted was from mid-1915, but there were certainly numbers of these handed out in 1920 etc. as "thanks for serving" awards. Da Rittmeister has had a series of documented awards recently of 1919/1920 "catch up" awards that are clearly civil merit or early Weimar (chaos) service of some sort.

Still, medal bars for rear echelon types tend to survive more methinks-like the rarity of civil war enlisted (worn) uniforms.