News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RUSSIAN WAR 1812 MEDALS..advice on value and identification

Dear Steve,

The larger of the two medals is the Patriotic War of 1812 commemorative, second variety with smaller rays and globular suspension (Diakov 358/2), there were two such medals in ANS part 2 one similar to yours made ?160 ($300). The other is an unofficial and privately made piece, from the illustration the design is very unclear owing to the darkness of the piece.

I hope the information is of assistance.

Paul

Dear Steve,

The larger of the two medals is the Patriotic War of 1812 commemorative, second variety with smaller rays and globular suspension (Diakov 358/2), there were two such medals in ANS part 2 one similar to yours made ?160 ($300). The other is an unofficial and privately made piece, from the illustration the design is very unclear owing to the darkness of the piece.

I hope the information is of assistance.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that.Is the medium size one for cavalry ??? i have enclosed better pictures of the silver miniture,which is engraved and portrays the same imagery as the 1812 medal.

thanks

steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

the piece looks like a privately-made 1812 medal, with engraved inscription and large ribbon loop (rememebering that of some old, Austrian decorations). It has a nice look and patina: what metal does it look made of?

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Hello,

the piece looks like a privately-made 1812 medal, with engraved inscription and large ribbon loop (rememebering that of some old, Austrian decorations). It has a nice look and patina: what metal does it look made of?

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Hello,

Inscription is the same as on the 1812 war medal and it is made in silver ,but gone to a nice dark patina.

It is the same size as waterloo minitures that i have seen.I am aware it is jewler made and period,just never seen a 1812 that size and wondered on value.

cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

See Yuri Yashnev's site: http://awards.netdialogue.com/Russia/Empire/1812/1812.htm for a full account of the Commemorative Medal of the Patriotic War 1812. It was instituted on 22 December 1813, and awarded to all who participated in the 1812 war. The official ribbon was pale blue, but there's a tendency for them to turn up on all manner of ribbons, often one belonging to one of the Russian orders.

See Yuri Yashnev's site: http://awards.netdialogue.com/Russia/Empire/1812/1812.htm for a full account of the Commemorative Medal of the Patriotic War 1812. It was instituted on 22 December 1813, and awarded to all who participated in the 1812 war. The official ribbon was pale blue, but there's a tendency for them to turn up on all manner of ribbons, often one belonging to one of the Russian orders.

Steve as to value of the unofficial piece. I would suspect it would be more desirable with the official one and assuming the Russian buyers liked the jewellers piece the two could make around ?500 (or even more if a few people decided the wanted the second piece). There is however a fair bit of speculative element but tome it looks absolutely of the time.

Paul

• 4 months later...