News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rumania: Order "Pentru Merit"

Thanks to an extremely helpful e-mail from a friend, I have now sorted out my site... and added the 2nd Class Civil Cross of Honour for Merit as well!

May I add some pieces of information?

The Order for Merit was established in 1931 as the 'Honour Sign for Merit' and was under the exclusive control of the King. I wonder whether that is the "King's Personal Award" you mentioned on your site. Anyhow, it was organised as an order and had only one type of badges (no difference between civilians and military). It was referred to as the 'Order for Merit' when the wartime badges were introduced and the order was listed among the national wartime awards in 1937.

The Honour Cross for Merit was established in 1933 as a complement to the order. As the order, it had only one type of badges until 1937 when the wartime badges were introduced and the cross was listed among the national wartime awards.

There is some confusion with respect to the ribbons of these awards. One source mentions the order with a green-blue-green ribbon, while the cross had a green ribbon with 5 thin blue stripes. However, there are many images (including in this thread) where the cross appears with the green-blue-green ribbon. ... Another source of confusions.

Your information is always welcome, dear heart!

There here is some more. The Order for Merit (also known as the Honour Sign for Merit) had indeed 5 classes, but not those on your site (that were usual for other orders). They were: Grand Cross, Commander, Officer, Knight and Cross (not to be confounded with the Honour Cross :rolleyes: ). It had only two types or divisions (peacetime and wartime) identifiable by the crossed swords on the badges and the gold stripes on the edges of the ribbons.

Similarly, the Honour Cross for Merit had two classes and two types or divisions, peacetime and wartime. Again the types could be told apart by the crossed swords on the badges and the gold stripes on the edges of the ribbons.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

following, the images of the Rumanian Cross of the type "Pentru Merit" (excuse me for the confusion between the Cross of Merit and the Order itself.

The material is gilt silver and the centre medallion is gold and enamels. As said, the double "C" monogram is missing.

Excuse me if I've left some time pass before posting the images.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

post-3114-1215844595.jpg

In the Tammann collection there was a similar badge together with other badges described as "exile editions" made by Frederico da Costa in Lisbon. I therefore wonder whether the cross under discussion was also an "exile badge".