News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

[

Ulsterman, do you know what that's in 1st place on the medal bar on the photo? Is that a silver merit medal on MCF ribbon or is it a real Military Carl Friedrich Medal... ?

I don't know. What do you think?

This man was decidely a ranker and immigrated to the USA in the 1880s.

I don't know. What do you think?

This man was decidely a ranker and immigrated to the USA in the 1880s.

Ah, interresting. No idea what he wears, that's why I asked. The ribbons are the same, the other awards are always almost the same (at any Baden 1870 bar) and both often come without an 1870 Iron Cross - so no way to tell when there isn't any shadow of either the griffin nor the grand duke's head.

Well indeed the 3rd and last Elector did not award any kind of campaign specific medals. However finding something just by excluding all other possibilities is never a conclusive methode in my opinion. Certainly as there does not seem to be any kind of other kurhessian medal (the only one eligible would be the 25 years service cross for officers) a kurhessian officer, however likely by the missing of other medals, could have only been a low-ranking one (pre-Major) who got into prussian service 1866. And most of them did. I will look up the specific numbers for you later today, but think in 80-100 from the top of my head.

So kurhessian?: possible, however in my opinion an identification would not very likely to be made.

should someone feel different about my ideas above, please don't hesitate to correct me

David, thanks again for your opinion on that issue. I hope the others don't mind we're quite offtopic with the "Ged?chtnismedaille 1849" in this thread.

"excluding all other possibilities is never a conclusive methode in my opinion" - well, in mine it is, though it isn't the best one. There was no other state that did not hand out any other medals for the wars he fought in. That's just a weird fact we found with this bar. I never imagined it might be tracebale and would be confident with just being sure what he was - e.g. that he was a Kurhassian officer up to 1866, yet to young to receive a long service award, then changing to the Prussians. It works.

=)

• 3 weeks later...

Back to topic "Felddienst-Auszeichnung". I'm still hoping for an answer to my question in Post #13 - Rick? :(

In the meantime, I got a set of two more lapel bows with that ribbon. Am I mistaken or are 1870/71 buttons actually quite hard to find? Well, at least those with NC iron cross are...

:rolleyes:

The set used to be three of the four awards with the Z?hringer missing (back to Ordenskanzlei, I guess) plus two bows and two clasps to the Baden medal, but the former possesor decided to keep the NC ribboned Iron Cross. Well, so the remains were at least not expensive. I see no reason for showing the yet several times shown rest so won't, as well as the Prussian KDM 1870/71. One bow on button, one on a pin:

Edited by saschaw