News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another collector and I were pm'ing about this type of buckle - and on its rarity. These are not common. I've only seen a couple for sale in my years of collecting - they are either rare as hen's teeth or collectors aren't giving them up! From the two I've seen come up for sale - I purchased one of them.

Here's my example for reference. Cheers!

Rob

Hey Paul. Glad you like it man! These weren't actually worn by the postmen - they were issued to a very small force of men who were part of the postal protection service. This was just one of the many organizations (though small) that was started in '33 by the NSDAP as a way of controlling all types of media/communication. There are not many period pics of these in wear.

I know I have more info on this org. somewhere...I'll see if I can find it!

Cheers!

Rob

Hey Nesredep - thanks for the pic....yes, that is a classic Assman buckle - you can see on the tab how the date is outside of the maker stamp - I think Assman was the only maker to do that. Could be wrong there - but that's where I'm leaning.

Glad you like it! Thanks!

Rob

I think Assman was the only maker to do that. Could be wrong there - but that's where I'm leaning.

Glad you like it! Thanks!

Rob

Hi Rob, quite correct, this was a trait known only to Assmann

Postschutz buckles are indeed one of the more interesting designs of N.S. period buckles. But last time I checked they cost both an arm and a leg to purchase. :)

--dj--Joe

Edited by --dj--Joe

Well guys...I just can't find that info I had on this org. (dammit!).

In any case....here's what is said about the postschutz on Pete Whammond's site:

The Postschutz (Postal Protection) organization was established in March 1933 as a uniformed organization tasked with the security of the national postal and telecommunications systems. Personnel were mainly recruited from the Polizei, the SA, and the SS. The Postschutz was controlled and administered by the Postmaster General?s Office, until March 1942, when it became subordinate to the Allgemeine SS.

So - if I do find that info - I'll make sure to add it.

Cheers!

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

that is the first time I see this buckle, what a beauty.

Rare indeed, the Postschutz were the postal protection service, but thats obvious lol.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoy looking at this rare buckle my friend !

Regards

Herr

• 2 years later...