News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

And what about the cross itself?

I did not say that anything was wrong with it. I am simply looking forward to hearing comments on it from the people most educated on these. I think that it is an attractive piece.

The case is for the 2nd class. The 1st class is longer and has a gold line round it.

From what i understand, this is a second type cross, first type was a pinback and was longer ( 50mm) then the second type (43 mm), so the case for the second type supose to be smaller then the first type. not sure about the line. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Any idea on how many were awarded? I know that not too many.

Edited by MasterBo

Designed by Herbert Kn?tel ? Berlin, the 1st/2nd class Fire Brigade Decoration (Feuerwehr Ehrenzeichen) was instituted on the 22nd December 1936.

The award took the form of the cross shown above.

The 1st/2nd class cross were identical in design, except for a difference in size, the 1st class being slightly larger, and having a pin-back set-up. The metal parts, on both badges, were finished in nickel silver plate.

On the 30th January 1938, a change to the Fire Brigade decoration took place and the pin-back version was replaced with an identical cross to the 2nd class but with all the metal parts finished in gold plate.

So, what you have there is the post 1938 1st class Fire Brigade Cross, and a very nice example it is too.

The case, if original to the cross, should have, as mentioned by Chris, a gold line around the top of the lid. If a silver line is found then the case is for a 2nd class cross and has, at some point, been swapped.

For reference, a couple of examples of the 2nd class with all silver metal parts.

Sorry for the poor photos?they were taken many moons ago.

Guest Darrell

......The case, if original to the cross, should have, as mentioned by Chris, a gold line around the top of the lid. If a silver line is found then the case is for a 2nd class cross and has, at some point, been swapped. .......

John are you sure about this? I don't believe I've ever seen a silver line anywhere on the cases for the 2nd Class medals.

Cheers, D

You could well be right.

Have just had a good look at my case (first time in years) and there seems to be the smallest traces of silver in the indented lines, or is it just dust!

Looking?.wiping?You are right!

So, the paragraph should read?..

The case, if original to the cross, should have, as mentioned by Chris, a gold line around the top of the lid. If no gold line is found then the case is for a 2nd class cross and has, at some point, been swapped.

Apologies for the confusion.

Guest WAR LORD

I must hasten to say, the case as shown is that for the 2nd class. It dose not have a silver linr. The 1st class box is elongated with gold line. The cases are totally different. What has happend, 2nd class cross has been guilded. This enhances the price. The first class box is very rare.

Guest WAR LORD

Dear John, I have no problem with this as shown. The important point is the box. The small square box is for the 2nd class. The elongated box is for the 1st class. This has a gold line.

Dear John, I have no problem with this as shown. The important point is the box. The small square box is for the 2nd class. The elongated box is for the 1st class. This has a gold line.

Hello!

I agree. :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

All the best :cheers:

Nesredep