News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cased MVK

Very interesting. Never seen this type before. Can we have close-ups of the cross and the miniature?

the box is IMHO an very early rothe one dating arround 1870

are there any hallmarks on the loop? have a look at the wardecoration is it one gilded piece or ist it made of silver with an visible gold-overlay when you look at the sideface. i hope this is the correct term.

regards

josef

Edited by Josef Rietveld

as far as i know miniatures were worn on tailcoats and frocks. Miniatures of MVK's without KD (wardecoration) are rare. Normally the officers who were awarded peacetime-crosses and quit service went into the reserve and were allowed to continue wearing uniform at official events.

josef

@eric, thanks for the close-ups.

i'am a liitle bit confused. caould it be that your cross was later golded or painted gold?

I myself can't ID the hallmarks but the way reverse of the wardecoration is done, as ductile as the frontside, i only know from pieces after 1918, often done by german manufacturers. normally the reverse looks like this. so i personally thin that cross and box dont match each other.

the miniature is very beautifull and IMHO and older one. BTW if you ever want to get rid of it :rolleyes:

@eric, thanks for the close-ups.

i'am a liitle bit confused. caould it be that your cross was later golded or painted gold?

I myself can't ID the hallmarks but the way reverse of the wardecoration is done, as ductile as the frontside, i only know from pieces after 1918, often done by german manufacturers. normally the reverse looks like this. so i personally thin that cross and box dont match each other.

the miniature is very beautifull and IMHO and older one. BTW if you ever want to get rid of it :rolleyes:

That is too many for one man. Please send no less than one to me. VERY IMPRESSIVE

wow, josef--

i see that you like mvk's like i like ek's :lol:

Could be. If you really really like them :cheers:

imho it looks like gold-paint. i have one cross where the reverse is very close to the cross you showed and it is definitely post-1918 but NO hallmarks.

personally i believe that your mvk is also post-1918. but maybe someone is able?to ID the hallmarks.

sorry for bad pics but i'am missing daylight.

josef

That is too many for one man. Please send no less than one to me. VERY IMPRESSIVE

Unfortunately it is only the beginning of a slippery road

@eric

a really good idea. i always like to see 2nd classes. maybe elmar can add some pictures aswell.

regards

josef

What does the " K.D " stad for? I have seen this on similar boxes from this time.

Greetings

P?ter

Kriegsdekoration = Wardecoration

there exist also very rare and funny boxes from 1860/70 where ist written F.D. = Friedensdekoration = peacetime decoration

regards

Josef

• 4 months later...

Eric Stahlhut: I have discussed photos with a kolege (my collecting Guru :D ), and:

Case is old piece as, Josef has already written...

MVK is production after 1914

Miniature is made after 1920 and was originaly on an evening dress chain...

So it "don?t belongs together..."