News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pre WW1, WW1, and Post WW1 Turkish Cap insignia

jj08

• 4 months later...

I've never seen ANY insignia being worn on army caps. :(

The images shown here are from the image of the taking of the surrender of Jerusalem in 1918 by two British sergeants. The two men shown wearing the cap badges of the crescent moon and star are the only clear images I have ever seen of Turks wearing cap badges in the Great War. This is a particularly famous photograph, and I would not be surprised if the names of the two gentlemen were not known.

These guys were not military personnel but ordinary policemen.

I thought that might have been the case. But the only reference to police/gendarmerie or fire brigade showed different uniforms, although my police references all appear to be pre-war. The younger man is wearing a tunic I cannot identify and may well be a local Turkish police (or other government official) type tunic, it would be interesting to find out.

These guys were not military personnel but ordinary policemen.

I thought that might have been the case. But the only reference to police/gendarmerie or fire brigade showed different uniforms, although my police references all appear to be pre-war. The younger man is wearing a tunic I cannot identify and may well be a local Turkish police (or other government official) type tunic, it would be interesting to find out.

• 7 years later...

There was a Jerusalem City Honor Guard at this time . These guard uses an turkish style uniform with kalpak as headgear and fringed epaulettes on the shoulders . perhaps the men pictured belonged to that guard . in the book Lawrence and the arab revolt edited by Osprey are photos showing the guards during the entry of gral Allenby in Jerusalem