News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Colin, never seen one in 900 silver before. Usually, these were crudely made aboard the boat for the crew. They are among some of the most heavily faked pieces from WW2. Desire and a foolish buying public creates a demand for the pieces with many buyers seeming to not care whether the item is real, or not. Gordon............

The swordfish was a distinctive unit insignia for Oakleaves winner Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock and his crew of U-96 and later his flotilla. He served as technical advisor for the movie DAS BOOT and this insignia appeared on the movie boat. Since then the badge has popped up all over the world and is frequently seen on Ebay.

As Stogieman points out these were often made aboard ship and have a very hand made character. It would be tough to spot a real one.

Perhaps Gordon can share some insight on this.

Edited by Bob Hunter

The sawfish was actually used as the insignia of several other boats as well U-96 and was the Flotilla badge for 9 U-Flotille. Some of these were factory made, inlaid with enamel and with proper pin fittings. IN fact a box of these enamel versions was discovered a few years back in the original French manufacturers store and was donated to the U-Boot Archiv which sold them to raise funds. Price at the time was around ?10 !!!

This one though, is a bit wierd in that it has the crude obverse as you'd expect from one of the original hand cut pieces made from scrap metal yet in precious metal with a proper pin. Looks much more like a modern commemorative piece. These are still being made for vets as well as for the collector market. It also has a design flaw as there is no "saw" edge to the sawfish snout.

Thanks Gordon, I knew you'd have way more background than me on these. Thanks BH as well. I had not considered a "modern" commemorative as an option. But even if it is, I would not (IMO) assign much value to it other than as a curiosity.