News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A (later very) famous Iron Cross winner...

Brandt was in exile during WW2, never a member of the Wehrmacht.

Regards

Chris

Ahaa, so my answer is wrong then, :speechless: (And also the picture I have), still it looks looks like him, Why was Brandt in exile? was it self imposed?

regards

Alex

To all:

Former Bundeskanzler Helmut Schmidt.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh that's him, meant him all the time just got the name wrong! I'll have to change the name on my photo

Edited by Alex K

Slava is correct. Here's a second pic of Oberleutnant Helmut Schmidt, taken in 1942. He's got the EK2, Eastern Front Medal (in the buttonhole), Sudeten medal and the Ground Combat Badge.

Brandt was a member of the resistance against the Nazis. He went into exile in Norway and Sweden. For a short time in 1940, he was even a POW of the Germans, while fighting in Norwegian uniform.

Slava is correct. Here's a second pic of Oberleutnant Helmut Schmidt, taken in 1942. He's got the EK2, Eastern Front Medal (in the buttonhole), Sudeten medal and the Ground Combat Badge.

Brandt was a member of the resistance against the Nazis. He went into exile in Norway and Sweden. For a short time in 1940, he was even a POW of the Germans, while fighting in Norwegian uniform.

Nice photo, thanks, interesting info about Brandt, being a prisoner against his own nation, did they know or just assume he was a Norwegian combatatant?

regards

Nice photo, thanks, interesting info about Brandt, being a prisoner against his own nation, did they know or just assume he was a Norwegian combatatant?

regards

They didn't know - and he fled to Sweden in time.

They didn't know - and he fled to Sweden in time.

It would be interesting to postulate what would have happened if they had found out, presumably he would have been treated as a traitor and dealt with accordingley.

regards