News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Netherlands - New guinea Cross

I bought this New guinea Cross at the OMSAS show last weekend. I'd appreciate coments from members on it. I have the following specific questions:

• What are the criteria for eligibility / award?
      • Military or civilian or both?
      • Officer or enlisted or both?
      • Dutch only or foreigners also?
      • Bravery or normal service; if service, how many years?
      • What period of time does the award cover?

use this one and learn dutch! *smile* you can use different net-trans.

Sincerely Holger

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nieuw-Guinea_Herinneringskruis

Well, I don't speak Dutch, but this is what I was able to get out of the site. It's not intended to be a proper or complete translation; just a synopsis. I also skipped a bit about the veterans.

I'd love it if you could translate the last 2 sentences starting, " Op de baton werd de gesp.....waarop deze ster "omgekeerd" is afgebeeld." It's obviously discussing the use of the gold star on the ribbon.

Thanks,

Hugh

Netherlands Medal Notes

New Guinea Commemorative Cross (Nieuw-Guinea Herrinneringskruis)

The New Guinea Commemorative Cross was established by Queen Juliana on 29 September 1962. It was awarded to Dutch military personnel of the three armed services who ?in the period between 28 December 1949 and 23 November 1962, spent a minimum of three months service in the former Netherlands New Guinea and the surrounding waters.?

The Dutch troops were protecting New Guinea, known as Netherlands New Guinea as part of the overseas Dutch empire, against Indonesian infiltrators. The Indonesian parachutists were known as volunteers. The Dutch forces included a squadron from the RNLN fleet. Sovereignty was handed over to the UN and the territory is now known as Papua.

The New Guinea Commemorative Cross is a gilded bronze cross with elongated vertical arms. It is longer than it is wide. In the middle of the cross is a crowned medallion. In the center is a five-pointed star with the inscription ?Nederland Nieuw-Guinea?. On the reverse is the Netherlands Lion, the Lion with the kingdom?s sword, upheld.

For the military who in 1962, participated in armed resistance against the so-called ?volunteers, a clasp with the date ?1962? is awarded.

The cross in worn on the left breast on a ribbon of green, with side stripes of red, white and blue; the red stripe on the edges of the ribbon.

I'd love it if you could translate the last 2 sentences starting, " Op de baton werd de gesp.....waarop deze ster "omgekeerd" is afgebeeld." It's obviously discussing the use of the gold star on the ribbon.

Hello Hugh,

Good job on the translation !

Those last two sentences merely indicate the 1962 clasp is denoted by a gold star being affixed to the ribbon bar and that some illustrations show the star "inverted".

Here's one with the 1962 bar :

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hello Hugh,

Good job on the translation !

Those last two sentences merely indicate the 1962 clasp is denoted by a gold star being affixed to the ribbon bar and that some illustrations show the star "inverted".

Cheers,

Hendrik

Thanks, Hendrik,

I was amazed at how much of it I could get, but I wanted to make sure I hadn't screwed up too much. Your review is very helpful (and makes me feel good). Surprising what a little high school German, French and a lot of years wandering around in that region will do. I'm off to bed, feeling just a little bit smug.

Hugh

• 1 year later...

cross was given also in the mid 90s to all service members who saw service in/around nieuw guinea so all veterans who did not got there cross in the 60s are now owner of this cross but without clasp 1962

as far as i can remember the crosses were made again as the old stock was empty,so new crosses looks also new.

Cross is been copied for collectors(late 80s) but very bad made easy to see made of lead(local home made) and handpainted