News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saxon Leib Grenadier Rgt 100

Alex,

This strap above is the correct shoulder strap for the Saxon LIR100. The Saxon Garde-Reiter Schulterklappen in this pattern had two rows of piping, an inner blue piping and an outer white piping. Here is what it looks like (not my photo).

Chip

Edited by Chip

Alex,

This is the correct shoulder strap for the Saxon LIR100. The Saxon Garde-Reiter Schulterklappen in this pattern had two rows of piping, an inner white piping and an outer blue piping. Here is what it looks like (not my photo).

Chip

Chip you forgot to attach the picture.

Regards

Alex

Alex,

This strap above is the correct shoulder strap for the Saxon LIR100. The Saxon Garde-Reiter Schulterklappen in this pattern had two rows of piping, an inner blue piping and an outer white piping. Here is what it looks like (not my photo).

Chip

Oh Chip, someday I must see your strap collection. :jumping::jumping: :jumping:

• 3 weeks later...

First, of all. I did not have this example from the K.S.1.(Leib) Gren.Rgt.Nr.100 until this week. It is totally new to me. It is the same as the one that Charles has shown, i.e, both from this regiment.

Secondly, I believe there were two different cypher patterns for King Friedrich August of Saxony (as you have observed), just as there was more than one style of royal cypher for the Kaiser. It is possible that the cyphers refer to different King Friedrichs, as the Saxon king crowned in 1905 was the third King Friedrich August (III) of Saxony.

As far as I know, the "Saxon 100 Gren-Landwehr Regt. " would have drawn its uniforms from the depot of the line unit and would most likely have been given whatever was on hand. Normally, only the line units wore the cyphers, while the reserve and Landwehr units wore the regimental number on their shoulder straps. There is plenty of period photographic evidence, however, showing that this was not always the case.

Chip

Do we have any evidence - ie actual research - that that Saxon Leib Regt changed its Shoulder Board pattern from a crowned AR to Crowned FAR during the war? This seems to be the original pattern -

i have never seen a photo showing a variant. i have a pair of JR101 straps with numbers not cyphers so they should belong to RIR101.

Nice strap Chip. what can I say? wow, it's very close to mine and very desirable to ME :love:

All I can say at the moment, based on the reference material that I have, is that the regimental cypher was changed some time between 1899 and 1914. I have an 1899 dated Ruhl book that shows the 100th's cypher as the "AR". I have several references that show it having changed to "FAR" by 1914. Another change was made in that the cypher and crown, which had been made from yellow material (cord and cloth), were changed to white for the Dunkelblau uniform.

While there is plenty of information about the Prussian cyphers and their changes in Paul Pietsch's two volume work, there is nothing equivalent that I know of for the Saxon army. I'm sure something exists, but there just has not been a modern reprint.

Chip

All I can say at the moment, based on the reference material that I have, is that the regimental cypher was changed some time between 1899 and 1914. I have an 1899 dated Ruhl book that shows the 100th's cypher as the "AR". I have several references that show it having changed to "FAR" by 1914. Another change was made in that the cypher and crown, which had been made from yellow material (cord and cloth), were changed to white for the Dunkelblau uniform.

While there is plenty of information about the Prussian cyphers and their changes in Paul Pietsch's two volume work, there is nothing equivalent that I know of for the Saxon army. I'm sure something exists, but there just has not been a modern reprint.

Chip

I say two is better than one! :love:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I thought the day would never come when I completed this tunic. I would like to upgrade one of the straps but I'm not complaining. I may never find another LGR100 strap in my lifetime.

I am very Grateful to Chip for sending the strap located on the tunic's right shoulder.