News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I'm trying to learn more about Train units. I understand Train actually meant "supply" so I understand supply columns, transport of supplies, and distribution of supplies. What I don't understand is if the Munitions Supply units were completely separate from the other supply units. Also, did all Train, "Supply" units wear the TRAIN BLUE branch piping or did the munitions units wear the piping of the unit they were assigned to?

Munitions-Kolonnen-Abteilung

F??artillerie-Munitions-Kolonnen-Abteilung

Train-Kolonnen-Abteilung

Were Railroad "Train" units part of the Train "Supply" branch or part of the Technical branch?

Charles,

The Eisenbahn units were part of the Verkehrstruppen and for the most part wore the uniform of the Garde-Pioniere (with their own shoulder boards. The Train (as in supply train) included a multitude of formations, including horse depots, bakery columns and originally, part of the medical establishment. Light blue was color of the piping until the fall of 1915 when the new darker blue color, "Kaliblau" was adopted. Bavarian Train troops wore the medical style cap with blue band and red piping.

The troops for the munitions columns were supplied by the Train establishment, but wore the uniforms of their associated unit.

Chip

Charles,

Yes, the piping on the M07 shoulder boards of the Train Batl. was blue, Hellblau actually. Here is an example from my collection. Not the pale blue you see on some private purchase Train tunics, but this is it.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Charles,

Yes, the piping on the M07 shoulder boards of the Train Batl. was blue, Hellblau actually. Here is an example from my collection. Not the pale blue you see on some private purchase Train tunics, but this is it.

Chip

Thanks Chip, I seen various shades of blue and I don't know how to know if the straps/borads are cavalry, train, medical, or Landwehr Cav...

Charles,

Normally, you can just look up the unit to see if it makes sense. Like on this Train strap. Can it be infantry, no, there were no blue piped infantry units with the number "1". Cavalry, no. Artillery, no. Etc. It's a process of eliminationl. It works 99% of the time. Occasionally, there are two unit possibilities, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

So for instance, can you tell me what unit the yellow piped strap on the right represents?

Chip

Edited by Chip