News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The First Mongolian Medals in My Collection

Riley1965

Guest Rick Research

These Moscow Artists Collaborative pieces are quite :love::love:

I had hoped that with all Ed's travels, we'd get some sort of serial numbers range data out on these if there were blocks of them awarded to Soviets. :(

For a sparsely populated country. This figure is still very large. :rolleyes:

Well . . . not really.

It is estimated that Mongolia's population in 1950 was around 732,000. By the end of the war against Japan, the MPA was estimated to be around 80,000.

Both A41 and A42 were awarded to both military and civilian personnel. The highest number reported for A41 is 54706 and the highest for A42 is 20008. These are for all types and varieties. While less than scientific, these suggest the scale of total awards.

The precise numbers and ranges awarded to Soviets seem not to have been overly significant to the Mongolians, and this is perhaps understandable. It is believed that the rolls do exist and, whenever research (more roll transcription) gets started, we will know more. Recent political problems have slowed this process as Mongolia has larger issues to worry about.

Yet, compared to the gigantic (some may say profligate) numbers of awards of Soviet medals, the Mongolian numbers are rather small.

Well . . . not really.

It is estimated that Mongolia's population in 1950 was around 732,000. By the end of the war against Japan, the MPA was estimated to be around 80,000.

Both A41 and A42 were awarded to both military and civilian personnel. The highest number reported for A41 is 54706 and the highest for A42 is 20008. These are for all types and varieties. While less than scientific, these suggest the scale of total awards.

The precise numbers and ranges awarded to Soviets seem not to have been overly significant to the Mongolians, and this is perhaps understandable. It is believed that the rolls do exist and, whenever research (more roll transcription) gets started, we will know more. Recent political problems have slowed this process as Mongolia has larger issues to worry about.

Yet, compared to the gigantic (some may say profligate) numbers of awards of Soviet medals, the Mongolian numbers are rather small.

hi Ed

Oh, I see. Comparative data, indeed, as you said. thanks.

On the defeat of Japan, please show your collection by the smallest number. Thank you. If any.

hi Ed

Oh, I see. Comparative data, indeed, as you said. thanks.

On the defeat of Japan, please show your collection by the smallest number. Thank you. If any.

To date, the lowest number that has been recorded for the Medal "We Won" is 111.

Personally, the lowest number I have is 904 in the group to Lieutenant-General Damdin Tserenjav.

You also may want to glance at http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10216&st=01 for information on this and the other Battushig "A" medals.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 3 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

The Mother Heroine 1st Class is an A 33.1 (shape of the mother, relatively low S/N).

The Polar Star is an A 32.1 (easily recognisable because of the Uigur script; the A 32.2 has Cyrillic script).