News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DSOs to Americans in WW1

All:

In my collecting history, I've been lucky enough to own a WW2 US DSO recipient's uniform and befriend a WW2 US DSO recipient (now passed on) but I've never dealt with WW1 DSO recipients before (save for on the British side).

I recently acquired a uniform to an American who was awarded the DSO while serving with the RFC in about 1917. Couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know how many DSOs were awarded to Americans in WW1?

2. How would I best go about finding why and when the DSO was awarded? Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have a London Gazette entry, so I'm at a loss on that end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

77 awards of the DSO to U S upto to 15 May 1920.

Excellent! Thanks!

Here's a pic of him wearing the DSO ribbon. Due to the black/white photo contrast, the edges look lighter, but they are actually dark blue.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if there are any records of the citations for these awards kept anywhere in the British records?

Also, I found an entry for the good Major on Burke's Peerage...anyone have access?

His name is (was) Andrew Jackson MacElroy.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Guest Rick Research

Married into what British titled family?

I have the 1970 edition, but there is no INDIVIDUAL index... they are alphabetical by TITLE.

I have that little publication by Al Gleim dated October 1982 and the entry for your guy is toward the end and his name is spelled slightly differently as Major Andrew Jackson McElroy, United States Aviation Services, Headquarters London (formerly attached South-Western Area, Royal Air Force, Salisbury, Wiltshire). The award is dated 19 July 1919 from the Air Ministry, Hotel Cecil, Strand, London WC2. I wish I could scan it and show you here but it is copyrighted. And as a foreigner it is an Honorary Companionship of the DSO.

Dana

Thanks a bunch!

I'll do some searches using the McElroy last name and see what I can come up with...

The Burke's Peerage entry online can be found at:

http://www.burkes-peerage.net/familyhomepa...ACELROY-AF-2807

but I unfortunately haven't the access to pull his entire biography! (anyone have Burke's peerage access?)

Dana, your entry from Gleim makes perfect sense...his uniform was tailor made in London and all of the insignia was either made by Firmin (the buttons) or Gaunt (the collar brass).

And finally, here's a pic of the beauty!!!

Dave

Nice! :love:

Maybe :off topic: but I ran across a nice article by R. C. Witte, "The Forbidden DSOs to Americans", The Journal of the Orders and Merdals Research Society 37, 3 (Autumn 1998): 229-33. Despite his title, the focus is on British awards to US Navy personnel in WWI, but especially deals with the tremendous official resistance to any orders on an ideological (and constitutional) basis.

Nice! :love:

Maybe :off topic: but I ran across a nice article by R. C. Witte, "The Forbidden DSOs to Americans", The Journal of the Orders and Merdals Research Society 37, 3 (Autumn 1998): 229-33. Despite his title, the focus is on British awards to US Navy personnel in WWI, but especially deals with the tremendous official resistance to any orders on an ideological (and constitutional) basis.

That tunic is simply amazing. By the looks of it, the pictured tunic was the one he wore in the field?