News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What medals should I use?

What "decoration spoor" exists? One nice thing about Soviet uniforms is that they'll almost always bear traces of what was worn there.

It has holes for three orders. So, I've put my replica T1/V3 Nevsky and two ORS there. I was wanting to put a couple of medals on the other side to balance things out. Something simple.

:beer: Doc

Well . . . .

-- No indication on his left side? Sometimes you can see/sense holes?

-- More likely an OPW than a Nevsky (though I know you have it) -- even an '85, just for a uniform

-- Guards Badge? A lot cheaper than others. For the visual impact you can even use cheap post-war.

-- M1940, rules, what rules?!? (1940? 1942, maybe?)

Well . . . .

-- No indication on his left side? Sometimes you can see/sense holes?

-- More likely an OPW than a Nevsky (though I know you have it) -- even an '85, just for a uniform

-- Guards Badge? A lot cheaper than others. For the visual impact you can even use cheap post-war.

-- M1940, rules, what rules?!? (1940? 1942, maybe?)

Thats the spirit Ed lets get into this use our imaginations as it were. The more i get into soviet stuff the more i realize that it seems like the combinations are endless.

Cheers

Chris

Guest Rick Research

Depends on where the holes are. All over the left pocket?

The uniform would have been last worn early in 1943, so no campaign medals or pentagonal ribboned medals.

A 1940 Major may well have had the 1938 Jubilee on the little red ribbon (good luck) in which case the hole closest to the shoulder will be higher than the other two.

Awards should not be touching, so if they do, what was on there were not Orders but the highly popular sports, medical, civil defense etc badges of the pre-GPW period.

Actually, remarkably few people had Orders and official medals before 1942. When in doubt, under-decorate or you end up with Hollywood Nazis-- every officer with a Knight's Cross....

Guest Rick Research

If it's got shoulder boards, it is 1943+ not 1940. No rank collar tabs?

Is it a Kitel tunic or a pullover gimnastyorka?

Looking carefully at the decoration spoor on the (his) right, you may get a clue what was there originally. There should be some indications on the left of how many items (loose or bar-mounted? probably loose?), though they may be very hard to see. Think forensic sciences?

Ed,

I'll pull it down tomorrow and break out my hand held microscope that plugs into the TV and do some Forensics over the left pocket. Rick, The uniform has five large buttons down the front, a high collar with hook and eye closure, red piping around the collar and on the sleeves plus the square shoulders and narrow "appointed" boards. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Guest Rick Research

Ah, Kitel.

OK: 1943 +.

Check the buttons (always check all of them because if you pick the only one that was replaced sometime, it throws off all the evidence :cheeky: ):

MAGNETIC gilt buttons with smooth black undated backs--separate pieces= pre 1954. From that year (I've never seen earlier) they were DATED "54," "77" etc.

Since this style of tunic was worn by officers until 1958, it could date from any time 1943-58. So the buttons will be the best clue whether it is "stalin era" or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Ed,

I took your advice. The uniform now has an OPW2, ORS and a Guards Badge. Over the left pocket I found holes for three single medals. So how about a couple of campaign medals and a Combat Service Medal? I forgot to check the buttons. I need to do that before selecting the campaign medals. Everyone, Thanks for your help!!!