News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

It arrived a few days ago by mail. Several Iron Crosses out of one family back to the Napoleonic wars. Among the pieces one vaulted Iron cross 1st class 1914 in its case, 2nd class 1914, 2nd class 1870, War Merit Cross 2nd class with swords and a tin mug with lid, supposingly containing another Iron Cross 1st class. The family did not know more about it, except that the mug was used by the former recipient during his time as a POW in Russia. He had somebody put the Iron Cross into the Hollow housing of the lit and soldered it shut. I was a bit skeptical at first, but anyway took the risk. Once I had opened the lid a Iron Cross 1st class fell indeed out of the housing of the lid, wrapped in some greenish cloth. I unwrapped it and found a slightly rusted Iron Cross 1st class made by SW (Sy & Wagner). I then realized that the wrapper showed some embroidered writing: Kurland!

Surprise, the following cuff title was used to contain the Iron Cross and prevented it from making rattling noised in the lid!

Kurlandw.jpg

I will post some pictures of the whole lot during the next couple of days.