News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A New Variant?

i was fortunate enough to get a batch of eks in this week, and this was in with the lot. at first glance, i thought, " oh, cool! another repaired example." then i took a second look at it and started noticing certain details about it. it's actually a very nice cross, but i'm still not sure whether or not it was originally made like this...

anyways, here's the obverse. notice the core-- it's sand cast!

it certainly seems as though the plate behind the hinge was added so that it could be applied flat (sturdier) and so that the pin would remain paralell with the cross. the pin opens to about 40 degrees.

all in all, a nice cross--someone spent a little bit of extra time with it by detailing it a bit!

it certainly seems as though the plate behind the hinge was added so that it could be applied flat (sturdier) and so that the pin would remain paralell with the cross. the pin opens to about 40 degrees.

all in all, a nice cross--someone spent a little bit of extra time with it by detailing it a bit!

the core is SW

the pin is a repaird pin system ,,,(1920-30)

reg kay

hi kay,

i compared the above core with two sy & wagner cores today, and i must say that they are extremely similar. good job!

however,there is a minute variance in size to the crown and 'w'. the crown is a bit larger and the 'w' is a bit smaller on the above cross..

cheers!

hi kay,

i compared the above core with two sy & wagner cores today, and i must say that they are extremely similar. good job!

however,there is a minute variance in size to the crown and 'w'. the crown is a bit larger and the 'w' is a bit smaller on the above cross..

cheers!

thats the trouble with these molds off do's day's.

somthimes we must juse a correkter term ,,,,its a SW type crown and core.

after i seen the ek2 1870 small 7 casted copy ,,,,,

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...870+godet+small

aim afraid ennything is possible

regards kay

S-W used 3 core variants in their EK1s. Amazingly enough, none of them are unique to S-W (ie other makers used the cores too).

Imo the hinge plate is a repair - a very neat old repair. I have seen similar well fitted large plates on screwback to pinback conversions. Of course there are some Prussian EK1s which used long and thin plates under hinges/catches from the outset, but I lean towards this one being a repair.

A nice character example though!

Regards

Mike