News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wound Medal

Riley1965

• Replies 63
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

:beer: I had a 4 once but sold it with all my other Austrian stuff. :speechless: I've never found a 5, though the sick/invalid ones with no center stripe turn up.

:beer: I had a 4 once but sold it with all my other Austrian stuff. :speechless: I've never found a 5, though the sick/invalid ones with no center stripe turn up.

Good Morning Rick!!! Did the medal stop at 4 wounds? Also, Thanks for the info on the sick/invalid ribbon. I didn't know that there was one.

:beer: Doc

Gordon,

Can you please show it to us? How would they get six stripes onto that ribbon?

Paul,

Sorry, that was a mistake on my part. 5 is the max (according to the text). I haven't been able to find my medal yet but will post a picture of it when I do find it.

To make amends for a post made in hast, here is what it says in the "Large Hungarian Medals Book" about these wound medals.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

A three sided ribbon, 40mm on each side, Grey in the centre with a 4mm red stripe on each side, for being wounded a red (voros) 2mm wide stripe with a black border. (for the first wound).

b. two red stripes (for the second wound)

c. three red stripes (for the third wound)

d. four red stripes (for the fourth wound)

e. five red stripes (for the fifth wound)

The next section deals with some later variations that had some changes in the width of the stripes.

Edited by Gordon Craig

Guest Rick Research

What always strikes me with something like a FIVE Wound medal:

was that a LUCKY or UNLUCKY soldier? :speechless1: :rolleyes:

Hallo Gents,

In the bopok:-

Wound Medals, Insignia And Next-Of-Kin Awards Of the Great War,

By Arthur H. Houston and Vicken Koundakjian.

O.M.S.A. Monograph 1995.

page 80 :-

Provision was also made for recognition of multiple awards.

For a single wound due to enemy action a 2mm wide blood red central stripe

was placed on the ribbon. For each additional wound up to a maximum of five

another stripe was added. It should be noted that, as was commonly the case, wounds simultaneously

incurred were regarded as single wounds.

In addition, the ribbons of awards stemming solely from illness were not embellished by stripes.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Thank you for sharing your medals and book exerpts. This medal is among my favorite put out by the Austrians. Are there any statements coving the situation where a member(God forbid) was wounded more than five times? Is another ribbon wound ribbon started?

Hallo Gents,

In the bopok:-

Wound Medals, Insignia And Next-Of-Kin Awards Of the Great War,

By Arthur H. Houston and Vicken Koundakjian.

O.M.S.A. Monograph 1995.

page 80 :-

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

This OMSA Monofraph is still available at the OMSA Store.

Paul,

I don't know the answer to that question. Most photos showing medal or ribbon bars in wear arn't clear enough tell if anyone has actually been awarded the five wounds ribbon. That would be an interesting question to ask on one of the forums here. I have a number of questions on the Hungarian medal forum now and I don't want to over burden the friends who have posted them for me with requests to post questions for me. If I don't post an answer in a month or so rattle my chain.

Regards,

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

Let me show you an interesting Wound Medal. It is made of BRONZE and not the well known zinc alloy "Kriegsmetal". Here it is:

641958752seb_teljes_750_egyben_www.kepfe

Regards,

cimbineus

:jumping: VERY NICE!!! :jumping: I, too, would like to see the rest of the medal bar.