News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Online Recipient Research

Hi everyone!

I am becoming very interested in British medals and was wondering if someone could direct me to a website were you can research the recipients of these awards? I have a medal that is engraved "344116 PTE.J.S.DICKSON. R.A.M.C." and would like to find our more.

Thanks a bunch!! :D

Jason

Edited by leigh kitchen

Ancestry has MIC's and whatever pension records survived the Blitz of ww2. They are continuing to add to their data base to make it as complete as possible. I believe you can also access the 1901 census on their. If you have any further questions PM me and I'll send you my email where we can get more indepth and specific.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Everyone!

With the help I have received so far, I have found that the stamp "344116 PTE.J.S.DICKSON. R.A.M.C." on the 1914-1918 British War Medal I have stands for: Private John S. Dickson, Regiment 344116, with the Royal Army Medical Corp

But, that is all I can find using the record searches I am familiar with. Also, the only document I could find is listed below. From that, is there anything else anyone can tell me about this person, or how I can find more of their army records? What does the rest of the document refer to?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Jason

gallery_3105_64_6201.jpg

Hello Jason,

Actually, 344116 is his Service Number. It shows what medals he is entitled to. Victory confirms your Victory Medal. It looks like he has a British War Medal out there somewhere Noted next to "British". Congrats on finding the document!!!

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Jason

I took my first run through the British WWI records this month - favour to a friend who's dad served.

As someone said, "Ancestry.com" has now got a lot of the records on-line. If you go to the National Archives there is a link to their site.

Unfortunately, almopst half the actual service records - enlistment papers et al - were burned in 1940. The remainder, called the "burnt documents" apparently give you about a 1 in 4 chance. However, I believe that the medal cards - listing entitlement and naming - are complete or nearly so, so one can find out what a soldier won and, sometimes, maybe, some extra info.

Good luck with the medal!

Peter

Hello Jason,

Actually, 344116 is his Service Number. It shows what medals he is entitled to. Victory confirms your Victory Medal. It looks like he has a British War Medal out there somewhere Noted next to "British". Congrats on finding the document!!!

Hi Doc,

Actually, I do have the British War Medal and am missing the Victory Medal.

What does the "101 B41 2919" on the card mean? I know the 2919 is a page number, but what else?

Thanks!

Jason

The closest I can find in "Ancestrys" Service Records is a John Stirling Dickson, enlisted 1915 aged 18, born about 1897, of 31, Hampden Street, Walton, Liverpool, a member of RAMCT Western General Hospital, Fazakesley:

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=V...&pid=540189

Thanks for the help! There is no way to tell for sure if this is the same person or not, is there?

Jason

Hi Doc,

Actually, I do have the British War Medal and am missing the Victory Medal.

What does the "101 B41 2919" on the card mean? I know the 2919 is a page number, but what else?

Thanks!

Jason

Hi Jason,

That I'm not really sure and don't want to lead you in a wrong direction. There are others here that deal with these documents on a regular basis. We both will learn from this one.

• 4 months later...