Croix de Guerre

ccj

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello ccj. One doubt whit palms:

If five bronze palms are one siver palm, ?Is possible to wear in the ribbon eigth bronze palms?. ?Was it a real habit or is an arbitrary combination?. Anyway a man with a eigth palms in his croix have to be a big heroe... Congratulations for your collection... :cheers: is a decoration really nice.

Hello ccj. One doubt whit palms:

If five bronze palms are one siver palm, ?Is possible to wear in the ribbon eigth bronze palms?. ?Was it a real habit or is an arbitrary combination?. Anyway a man with a eigth palms in his croix have to be a big heroe... Congratulations for your collection... :cheers: is a decoration really nice.

Have you ever seen a CdG with the palms sewn on each end like the one I have with 8 palms? What level soldier received army level only awards?

Another question, did many generals receive the CgG and if so were they aways with palm?

******** Can anyone post images of Cdg Medals with multiple palms and stars? ********

Edited by ccj

Have you ever seen a CdG with the palms sewn on each end like the one I have with 8 palms? What level soldier received army level only awards?

Another question, did many generals receive the CgG and if so were they aways with palm?

******** Can anyone post images of Cdg Medals with multiple palms and stars? ********

The question is I think, what was necesary for an army-citation. If the silver palm exist, is possible to get five, at less one time. What is the equivalent in other armies?. If it is for acts in the face of enemy or for any service near war front or even just for merits in wartimes. I couldn't get any orden that especifically explain those questions that concern to the philosophy of one army or countrie and define his way to see the life. By example, how many cooks received a citacion

and why.

Hello Boris and Charles,

Theoretically 5 bronze palms had to be replaced by 1 silver palm. However, recipients in many cases preferred stacking their bronze palms and there seems to have been little objection to their doing so.

Eight palms almost certainly indicate an ace pilot (1 palm per air victory) ... the ordinary trench warfare soldier would nearly never survive that long.

I've never seen palms mounted that close together, usually they were spaced out a bit more on - if necessary - a super long ribbon.

The cross and its citations are mainly bravery awards but not strictly so, exceptional war service or leadership (for generals) also led to awards.

As requested, some more pictures coming up ...

And, currently residing in the Paris L?gion d'Honneur Museum :

If I recall correctly, it once belonged to a chap called Joffre ... you may have heard the name before :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Hendrik

WOW!!! Would Joffre have worn that version on his uniform? I wonder if it's a private purchase by Joffre or given to him by the gov't.