News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is This A POSSIBLE Yugoslav Group?

gentlemen, I need yours opinions. I have the opportunity to save a 3 orders group (brotherhood 2nd, merit to the people 3, bravery) all documented, with box and ribon, for one woman. Would it be a good set? I'm puzzled the person got the fraternity and bravery on the same date...

many thanks, sebastien

gentlemen, I need yours opinions. I have the opportunity to save a 3 orders group (brotherhood 2nd, merit to the people 3, bravery) all documented, with box and ribon, for one woman. Would it be a good set? I'm puzzled the person got the fraternity and bravery on the same date...

Dear Sebastien,

I guess, that's not an untypical group:

Bravery & Brotherhood 2cl are most likely (catch-up) WW II awards (a wide range of Red Army officers received the Brotherhood 2cl ...) and the Merit 3cl might be for a jubilee in the (civil) job - i.e.: 25 years for being a "political correct" civil servant or so.

The Partisan Star in it's 3 classes had been rather rare and I guess, that most of the comrades (male & female) got Brotherhood and/or bravery for taking part in the war against Nazi-Germany - in a rather wide range of functions and positions.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

• 3 weeks later...

finally, I went across the Rubicon.

And I saved a group from (another?) split. It came from the recent San Giorgio auction, being divided into 3 lots. By chance, nobody saw nor gave interest to the diplomas, giving the same woman as an awardee.

Thanks to Mr. Calabrezi , I tried th purchase.

I don't think it is a bad thing; everything seems to be coherent.

Edited by seb16trs

Dear Sebastien,

congratulations to your YU-group :cheers::jumping:

Try to start to research about that "Olga Ivcovic" (?) :D .

According to her awards, she should had been a member of the Communist Party. If you couldn't find anything about her (try also the cyrillic option at Google!) in the www, then maybe in the archives of the the former party (SPS ?).

Best regards :beer:

Christian

I found such a name in a communist-yougoslavia dedicated croat forum; they were quotingan official book of the period. Maybe a person who hosted partisans in Zagreb, and helped networks between Slovenia and Croatia.

But the probability of homonym is extremly high. :Cat-Scratch: :catjava:

• 2 months later...

A very nice and totally correct group!

And the reason, why two orders were awarded so closely together: yugoslav orders/medals were mostly awarded on national holidays, and 4th July was Resistance fighter's day (Dan borca) - no wonder on that day MANY partisan veterans were awarded, especially in the early years after the war. She was probably "missed" or "skipped" in the first days after the victory, so she got these two together to correct the "mistake" - a common practice. To the contrast, most peace-time military service awards (ie. Military merit order and medal, Order of people's army) you'll find awarded around 22nd december, which was the Army day (Dan JNA).