News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Duty rumour......

Hi Guys,

Duty rumour has it that the Royal Mint have announced that they`ve minted some 20 pence coins by mistake :unsure: , without the date. Although they are still legal tender, they have recommended that if you have any keep them, as they maybe worth something more than 20p in the future. I have yet to have this confirmed, and have been unable to find anything on the net. But watch this space. Likewise if anyone has any further information, please feel free to post it on the forum..... :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Tch! Bureaucratic thinking!

Were I in charge, would mint MILLIONS of 'em that way, then say that was how they were SUPPOSED to be, and make the "error" the norm-- an "exciting experiment in numismatic innovation." :rolleyes:

"Error," WHAT "error," my good man?

:catjava:

From the Royal Mint....

"Dear Mr Caldecott Thank you for your e-mail regarding circulation 20 pence coins. The Royal Mint can confirm that a small number of new design 20 pence coins have been incorrectly struck using the obverse from the previous design, resulted in these coins having no date. The issue has now been resolved and the Royal Mint would like to reassure members of the public that these coins are legal tender. Prior to the new reverse designs which were launched in April 2008, the date appeared on the reverse side of the 20p. As the date on the new designs has been moved to the obverse side, minting the coin with the new reverse but previous obverse has meant no date appears on the coin. Only one batch of coins has been incorrectly struck and there are between 100,000 and 200,000 coins in a typical batch. The Royal Mint produced 1.3 billion coins in 2007/08 and has a number of quality control procedures in place to ensure all coins are consistently struck to the highest standards. The Royal Mint has launched an investigation RegardsJayne WilliamsCustomer Services"

Hello

One batch of coins has been affected. The actual number of coins affected could be between 100,000 and 200,000.

Regards Laurie

O my god I will be getting loads of calls of people who will be so dissapointed when they discover they are not worth ?10,000s of pounds. The off side to working in coins and medals, sedative please.

Paul

O my god I will be getting loads of calls of people who will be so dissapointed when they discover they are not worth ?10,000s of pounds. The off side to working in coins and medals, sedative please.

Paul

Has anyone even seen one yet? :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

The Royal Mint admit that the error went un-noticed and it is difficult to know how many there are in general circulation. After a nation wide hunt in circulation for these coins (still on going !) approximately 50 to 100 have been discovered and are being snapped up by eager collectors who remember the RARE 1983 2 pence "Mule" error (NEW PENCE reverse - instead of TWO PENCE !) that can now fetch over ?1000.00 each !!!

At present there is no way of knowing how many or how few the Royal Mint made of this amazing error.

It is the first time in about 500 years that the made a coin with NO date on it !!!!

(First British date coin 1551 - prior to that all coins were undated but had a mintmark by which one could determine the date)

* When first discovered this coin ERROR variety was changing hands for over ?300.00 !

Rumour confirmed :jumping:

They seem to be selling for, now wait for it.......anything from ?50 to ?100 :speechless::speechless::speechless:

Horrible thought is I have probably given the odd one to the barman at the time when they look like 2 20p pieces but thanks for the info most hepful (there will still be people hugely dissappointed when they are not worth ?thousands).

Paul

• 1 month later...

I couldnt believe that one just sold for ?5800 on ebay! i will be studying my change from now on!

I suspect that E-bay will be awash the blighters. Friend of mine had one in the pub and a colleague of mine has two. I suspect the price will decline somewhat.

Paul

Yeh, things are getting a bit silly now. Interestingly theres on on ebay for buy now ?10,000 yeh right. Bids starting at ?250, finishes in a few minutes. No bids!! Theres no shortage of them on ebay, silly prices. Am sure this will die a death.