News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New book on Mongolian awards

Bob

Ed,

Is this a MUST have reference book? If so, where can I get it?

:beer: Doc

I suspect the language problems (in Mongolian only) will make it a must-have only for the true fanatic. I await critiquesfrom friends in UB, but I am getting a copy anyway. The e$cam seller has access to many copies, as the auithor is a friend of his.

If you really need/want it, drop me an e-mail and I can help.

• 3 weeks later...

Received the book.

Around 90 pages with lots of pics and, unfortunately in Mongolian, text. Suspect the text is largely describing the orders/medals but who knows there might be new info in there. The pics of the orders/medals aren't that great (not all sharp, no reverse) but some good pics of e.g. the recent medals not easily found (Order of Genghis Khan). The "prize" of the book for me is the pics of the recipients - quite a lot of them, very appealing. Whether that's really worth the high price for this book... probably not unless you are a diehard completist (which I suspect quite a few on this forum will be:)).

Certainly not a must have, but a nice to have especially during these quiet collecting times.

Well . . . I have it in hand.

First impressions:

-- Small. A4 size, just 92 pages. But full-color on coated paper.

-- Nice images. Full page treatment of most items and LOTS of recipient photos. Usually no images of reverse of the awards.

-- Organization is chronological, which is interesting and would probably work better if I could read the text.

-- Language -- ALL in Mongolia except names of the awards.

-- No need to retire Battushig's book. Much need to hope for a second edition.

Am I glad I got it? Yes. Absolutely! But I am a fanatic. :rolleyes:

The more I look at it (being able to read scarcely a bleedin' word :banger: ) the more convinced I become that the way it is organized is incredibly important: Making us think HISTORICALLY as to how the system emerged over time and across Mongolia's history rather than as a narrow "version. 2.3 versus 2.4" way of thinking. Please try to get beyond the language hurdle and the (very) pretty pictures and strive to think about things that way.