News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

That makes the 3rd I've ever seen of the Nitwit Device-- usually a SAXON fantasy. George Seymour had one on a Baden MKFVO recipient's ribbon bar (sold in one of the Theis auctions)-- that guy died in the 1880s., which is about when I'd place this photo too

Now, your Major/Oberstlieutenant/Oberst (can't tell from that :speechless: "romantic" faded edges sepia) is pre-1897 (single cap cockade), from either

Garde Grenadier Regiment 1 ("Alexander") or 2 ("Franz") -- from the distinctive collar Litzen.

I suspect this is pre-1890 since he is an 1870 veteran (2nd ribbon) who has no long service award ( :speechless1: ) yet.

That makes me think he was a freshly commissioned Major, not even a Red Eagle Order 4 yet despite all the non-Prussian bling.

NOTHING on back? NO name, no date? :banger:

Unfortunately, I have no Rank Lists between 1879 and 1890, and the ribbons are too washed out here for me to identify. Something as simple as a DATE on back would allow someone with that year's Rank List to check the only two regiments possible and find him based on the number of ribbons, 1870 EK2, and Johanniter Order.

Too early for me to be able to help! :(

Guest Rick Research

Ah, so it is a typical Carte de Visite with the image glued on heavy stock/cardboard with the studio advertising. Oh well. It'll turn up. Somebody will have the right year and All Will Be Revealed.

It is indeed an EXTREMELY interesting photo and one which I'd like to add to the "in wear" section of the Ribbon Bars Article posted on the other half of the GMIC website if that's OK with you?

First time I've ever caught a Prussian-- and a Guards officer at that!!!!--wearing the absolutely nonsensical, fantasy EK2 device!!! :cheers:

No-- those are wrong regiments. NOT the "zu Fuss" ones-- Garde Grenadier Regimenter 1 and 2.

Guest Rick Research

Nope. Must have pre-dated 1886.

It looks like the 3rd ribbon must be for the 1864 war with Denmark-- rather strange no 1866 Cross. Unless...

another "Iron Cross" ribbon for... a MEZ2? Or a Red Eagle with X not :speechless: on there?

Mayyyyyybe 4th ribbon is Baden Z?hringen Lion-with X and 5th ribbon is Baden Campaign Medal (remember that Ole Debbil Spectrum Shift...)

nnnnnnnnnn... grasping at straws. Need 1880s Rank Lists!

That makes the 3rd I've ever seen of the Nitwit Device-- usually a SAXON fantasy. George Seymour had one on a Baden MKFVO recipient's ribbon bar (sold in one of the Theis auctions)-- that guy died in the 1880s., which is about when I'd place this photo too

With the three known, are you counting my one? That from George is now in my father's collection as you know. You don't have by coincidence the name to that bar, do you? I think I asked before... :(

It looks like the 3rd ribbon must be for the 1864 war with Denmark-- rather strange no 1866 Cross. Unless...

another "Iron Cross" ribbon for... a MEZ2? Or a Red Eagle with X not :speechless: on there?

Mayyyyyybe 4th ribbon is Baden Z?hringen Lion-with X and 5th ribbon is Baden Campaign Medal (remember that Ole Debbil Spectrum Shift...)

Baden Ged?chtnismedaille 1849?! Then he should have a long service award. But, for Baden Felddienstauszeichnung he almost "should" be a Badener. Have seen one non-Badener with that (Graf von Werder, if I remember correctly), and never seen a Badener who saw action in 1864... but I saw a Prussian who saw combat in 1864 and 1870/71 - but not in 1866! Unlikely, but possible.

Ribbon bar portraits are just driving me crazy. I have as well some, but no idea what they're wearing... :speechless:

Guest Rick Research

Sorry Sascha-- I've forgotten. George found him in 1880s Rank Lists, still on active duty and then dead from one issue to the next. He used to send me xeroxes of his new finds with notes written on them, but that ribbon bar was the first thing he got after getting a non-Epson scanner which he could never figure out, was always going to figure out, never did-- and from then on I never got xeroxes, just phone calls about new things. Computers were not George's forte and my brain can not retain alllllllll those bars from allllllllllllll those years when I never got images of them. :(

I don't see any match in the 1881 Lists either-- he is definitely not wearing a Prussian long service award which should be in 2nd place by regulations back then.

So--

NOT in either regiment 1879, 1881, 1886, 1890.

:banger::banger: :banger: