News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dienstaltersliste I May 1943

Although it is generally thougt that German army lists covering the war years do not exist, this is not the case. Published as secret documents with a limited distribution lists for the various categories of commissioned officers were produced by the army personnel office certainly up to 1944. The Dienstalterlisten T & S of 1944 have in fact been published. The following scans are from the May 1943 edition of Dienstalterliste I (regular officers) and the precursor to Dienstaltersliste T. This edition apart from the the 1940 list showing z.D. officers is the only list I have so far come across showing medical and veterinary officers. Of note is the fact that in many, although not all cases the first names of the more junior officers are included.

Regards

Glenn

This page shows some of the numerous individuals commissioned as Leutnants on 1.12.42. As opposed to the earlier imperial lists, numerals are used to indicate seniority and the highest number (most junior Leutnant) commissioned on that date had a suffix of 2536!

Rick,

But ... no index is there?

You know better than to ask that question. :P

No, afraid not, although certainly the docs and vets would not be a big indexing task. The list of lines officers alone though runs to 808 pages. :speechless1:

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

Figured that was a rhetorical question. :catjava:

I'll volunteer to type out and alphabetize those medical and veterinary officers-- yet another previously Invisible Category you've found for us. :cheers::jumping:

I'm currently award roll-less and need some CONSTRUCTIVE distraction.

Anything to take my mind off this glow ball worming going on outside in the Arctic cold unbearable lightbulb-induced planetary overheating.

Continuing with the theme. This the cove rpage of Dienstaltersliste A of May 1942. Again regular officers and the precursor to both Dienstalterlsisten I and then S & T. This particular list only contained General officers through captains.

Guest Rick Research

I've typed and alphabetized the 1940 zD Officers-- a very very VERY strange and surprisingly TEMPORARY status of officers for some and No Hopers for others. :cheers:

The cover page of Dienstalterliste T of 1 May 1944 for the rank of Oberleutnant. Although Dienstaltersliste T & S for May 1944 was published as a reprint it only covered the General and field officers and not captain and subaltern officers.

Continuing with the theme. This the cove rpage of Dienstaltersliste A of May 1942. Again regular officers and the precursor to both Dienstalterlsisten I and then S & T. This particular list only contained General officers through captains.

Hi Glenn.

Could you do a lookup in above Dienstaltersliste for this person:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33397 :rolleyes:

Kind greetings Stefan

(hope, I?ll see you in february) :cheers:

Edited by IR 134

Guest Rick Research

He was killed in September 1942, so he won't be in the 1943 DAL.

These DALs list the unit the person was in BEFORE the war-- or would nominally be in for those so junior they were first commissioned during the war--so there could be 1,000 Leutnants in one "regiment" say-- obviously impossible After The Final Victory.

The war security DALs do not show ACTUAL assignments. :beer:

Guest Rick Research

October 1937 (all regulars, indexed)

October 1938/January 1939 (the 1953 Podzun reprint, indexed)

1 May 1940 (E) and zD (regulars, no index)

1 May 1942 Captains up (regulars only, no index)

1 May 1943 as described above

1 May 1944 "T" (regulars only, index only for Majorsup publisjhed in the 1980s, which includes "S" former (E) officers Major up)

so a current major "gap" in these hundreds of thousands of newly found officers would be (E) officers after 1940 who turned into (S) officers at the end of 1941. That's where our WW1 retreads will be found.

I have also come across the the DAL AI of 1 May 1941 (regular officers General through Lieutenants). I have in my possession photocopies of the pages containing the field officers. I assume I did this before I acquired my book scanner. Must look out for this one again. This from the title page.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn.

Could you do a lookup in above Dienstaltersliste for this person:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33397 :rolleyes:

Kind greetings Stefan

(hope, I?ll see you in february) :cheers:

Stefan,

Alfred Stadler is listed in DAL A 1 May 1942 as an Oberstleutnant. However the list shows his last peacetime assignment. He is shown in the 3 Jan 1939 Stellenbesetzung as an Hauptmann (E) and company commander of 2 (E)/I.R. 9. He was born on 25 November 1898 at Plauen/Vogtland.

oooh! 1934!

Nice one.

:jumping:

I got the 1937-HEAVY annotated (I'll post notes her after I finish finding them).

It also includes Anlagen:

Example: Art. Rgt. 52 at the top of PP. 371 is blocked out and replaced by this page:

Edited by Ulsterman

Stefan,

Alfred Stadler is listed in DAL A 1 May 1942 as an Oberstleutnant. However the list shows his last peacetime assignment. He is shown in the 3 Jan 1939 Stellenbesetzung as an Hauptmann (E) and company commander of 2 (E)/I.R. 9. He was born on 25 November 1898 at Plauen/Vogtland.

This page from DAL AI of 1 May 1941 shows his 1 April 1940 (24) promotion to Major. It is clear from this that he had transfered from (E) back to regular status.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn.

Massive thanks for your support. Fantastic. :jumping::jumping::jumping::cheers:

Only one more question: 2 (E)/I.R. 9.: to which bataillon did the company belong? To the Ausbildungsbataillon (Training bataillon) or I. (active) bataillon?

Viele Gr??e Stefan

Hi Glenn.

Massive thanks for your support. Fantastic. :jumping::jumping::jumping::cheers:

Only one more question: 2 (E)/I.R. 9.: to which bataillon did the company belong? To the Ausbildungsbataillon (Training bataillon) or I. (active) bataillon?

Viele Gr??e Stefan

Stefan

It belonged to the Ausbildungsbataillon.

See you next mont

Beste Gr??e

Glenn