News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DDR Tunics... is there a current market?

I am preparing for my three year stint away from home. My wife is insistent that I thin out a bulk of my collection to free up some space. I have about 60 DDR tunics I decided I could live without. Is there any interest in these tunics anymore? I am thinking about posting them all on Ebay for a dollar and let the economy do the rest.

Advice?

Paul

Guest Rick Research

There is this Magical Place near you called Low Ell where once a month of a pagan Sunday morn a gathering of odd characters takes place.... :rolleyes:

In fact, I have been bringing along a young DDR uniform collector as representative of a squad of 'em each of my recent trips north but..... noooooooooooooooooooooo Pauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllllllllllllllllllllll.... :catjava:

There is this Magical Place near you called Low Ell where once a month of a pagan Sunday morn a gathering of odd characters takles place.... :rolleyes:

All those people want are Nahzi stuff for a dollar! LOL!

Guest Rick Research

No, some of them want DDR cammies for the most complete of complet reenactor outfits AND got into service uniforms from that. Fanatics and young enough to fit in things.

No, some of them want DDR cammies for the most complete of complet reenactor outfits AND got into service uniforms from that. Fanatics and young enough to fit in things.

Ain't it amazing, what people will do with their spare time... And speaking of spare time, I spent enuff time in the sogenannte Deutscher Demokratische Republik, in the Seventies and Eighties, ducking the Volkspolizei and the Volksarmee, in places I shouldn'ta been, that I can't imagine dressing up like 'em, just for Schnitz & giggles... Additionally, let's not even look at the quality (such as it is) of those tunics...! :rolleyes: That said, someplace I have a DDR belt... if anybody wants one... cheap! :cheers:

Actually there has been an increased interest in DDR uniforms in the last 3-4 years. Yes, some are looking to convert them to TR uniforms for various reasons, but there is a growing group of collectors specializing in DDR militaria. Part of the reason is it's a great area for a beginning collector to start in without having to invest large amounts of cash nor worry as much about fake items. Granted most of the common run of the mill DDR uniforms are plentiful but higher ranks and some specialized units are getting harder to find and more expensive.

Paul it's sad that you are parting with so many uniforms, and I wish you the best of luck on your E-bay auctions. I think you may do better than you think on many of your items. For those interested in taking a peek at Paul's auctions here is the link: http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/paulmedic6644

Cartoonman you might want to hang on to your DDR belt it might be worth something some day. But if you want to part with any USMLM patches or insignia keep me in mind.

Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Cartoonman - Received your PM, but was unable to respond because your mailbox is full. TR is Third Reich. USMLM is the US Military Liaison Mission to Potsdam, they were "legal spies" in East Germany authorized under the Potsdam Agreement at the end of WWII. The French and British had simular missions as did the Soviets in West Germany. Your description of dodging the VOPO and Volksarmee gave me the impression that you may had been a member of USMLM. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Thanks for the note about over-flowing mailbox! Condition rectified.... Thanks also for initial clarifications! TR---DUH! As for USMLM... I didn't know what they were officially called... as for my own activities, no, I was just doing illegal things: Getting too close to the Brandenburg Gate (East side), photographing the Berlin Wall death strip and such from their side, traveling in East Germany while ignoring the requirements for checking in with local authorities, staying "schwartz" (illegally) with un-vetted private citizens, etc., etc. All done as a private citizen; no US gov't compensation! Just story-telling value! :D

---Cartoonman

Cartoonman - Received your PM, but was unable to respond because your mailbox is full. TR is Third Reich. USMLM is the US Military Liaison Mission to Potsdam, they were "legal spies" in East Germany authorized under the Potsdam Agreement at the end of WWII. The French and British had simular missions as did the Soviets in West Germany. Your description of dodging the VOPO and Volksarmee gave me the impression that you may had been a member of USMLM. Kevin