News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another Name Tag to Decipher

Hello again, all - another name tag, this in a Waffenoffizier Oberst Waffenrock. I was informed by the current owner that the name is Hartlm?ller (or Hartlmuller) and he supposedly won the DKiG in late 1944. I don't have the DKiG book handy so I can't confirm the name or the award. I wanted to see if any of the assembled cognoscenti (Rick, Simon, Hardy and others) can definitively figure out the name. As always, any help much appreciated and valued!

Don

Edited by DonC

Hello again, all - anothe rname tag, this in a Waffenoffizier Oberst Waffenrock. I was informed bythe current owner that the name is Hartlm?ller (or Hartlmuller) and he supposedly won the DKiG in late 1944. I don't have the DKiG book handy so I can't confirm the name or the award. I wanted to see fi any fothe assembled cognoscenti (Rick, Simon, Hardy and others) can definitively figure out the name. As always, any help much appreciated and valued!

Don

Rick will love this one!! Can you please post the rest of the tunic as well?

Guest Rick Research

Hartlm?ller is indeed correct. I have him as a 1941 Oberstleutnant (W) in 1943 so entirely possible he made full Oberst (W) by war's end.

But he didn't receive either German Cross, so if there is a set of loops at the right pocket it must be for a WW1 Turkish War Medal Star. Don't have him on any WW1 award rolls so can't confirm any awards. He was not an Imperial or Reichsheer officer.

Thanks, Rick -

The tunic supposedly comes with his WWI records, but I will investigate further. Perhaps he was Austrian.

Don

Hartlm?ller is indeed correct. I have him as a 1941 Oberstleutnant (W) in 1943 so entirely possible he made full Oberst (W) by war's end.

But he didn't receive either German Cross, so if there is a set of loops at the right pocket it must be for a WW1 Turkish War Medal Star. Don't have him on any WW1 award rolls so can't confirm any awards. He was not an Imperial or Reichsheer officer.

Actually chaps, he was a Reichsheer officer.

Leutnant (W): 1.4.20 (8)

Oberleutnant (W): 1.3.26 (5a)

Hauptmann (W): Sometime after 1 April 1934

Major (W): 1.4.37 (15)

His last peacetime assignment was as the commander of the Army Munition Depot at J?terbog. I will have to do some checking as he is not in the 1924 Rangliste. Presumably commissioned in the mid twenties with backdated seniority.

Regards

Glenn

Don, Rick,

well one could certainly be forgiven for thinking that lots of these officers never served in the Reichsheer. The backdating of seniority it would appear could amount to several years as I have just discovered whilst going through the Milit?r-Wochenbl?tter of the mid twenties. Oberfeuerwerker Hartlm?ller was actually commissioned as a Leutnant beim Zeugamt on 1.4.1926 whilst serving on the staff of Truppen?bungsplatz Grafenw?hr with a simultaneous assignment to the Ordnance Office in Kassel. So in his particular case he immediately racked up six years seniority. He was promoted to Oberleutnant (W) on 1.4.29 and again had his seniority backdated three years. Compensation for all the years spent as NCOs.

Regards

Glenn

Interesting - the tunic was tailored in J?terbog. Glenn, do you have information on any awards? The tunic has a loopooong set of medal bar loops but only one set for an additional medal or badge.

Don

Guest Rick Research

Ayuh-- looked in '24 but didn't look in '28. :banger:

Also as oddly, he is NOT listed in 1940 as either active or zD so apparently either a clerical omission, had gone (W-E) for a bit or was aD briefly for some/no reason.

From Glenn's treasure trove of never seen seniority lists (CDs, Glenn, CeeeeeeeeDeeeeees.....) :cheers: