News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Early Niello Badge or Award

Gentlemen,

I am currently researching the awards of Imam Shamil of Chechenya & Daghestan. The illustrated award is from a Thies catalogue of 2007 and purports to be a Shamil award converted into an early Soviet award. It is possibly a Shamil award but whilst of niello silver, the piece bears no inscription - which is traditional for such awards - and bears a central cast lions head, which, whilst emblematic of bravery, both lion's head and design work are of a high detailed standard that is not evident in the other examples of Shamil awards. The crossed swords, raised logo and red enamel star, bearing a hammer and plough are of different and later manufacture. The Russian inscription translates as "For Honour Service" - but I am convinced this is not correct. The reverse has three loops for wearing. Any ideas?

Wuith thanks,

Owain Raw-Rees.

The crossed swords over the shield suggest state security to me. The shield isn't the traditional Soviet design, of course, but I've seen other early Transcaucasus state security badges with regional shield designs instead of the one we usually think of. Just a thought.

If it's a conversion, do you know what the original looked like? Is there an example somewhere? Back in the day it was common to produce local awards that didn't fit into any general guidelines.

Nice badge, though. Thanks for sharing it.

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for your input. I attach an image of a Shamil award - all were individually made and have different inscriptions. In this instance the inscription reads, approximately,

"In war young is the one who has control and in battle sways as the lion and he has been rewarded"

This piece is dated 1274 hijra which corresponds with 1857/8.

Regards,

Owain