News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chip told me probably not, he has a reserve cross on the Tschako, old gear and I think even a lebel?

Anyone want to have a guess what he could be?

The bazonet cannot even fit the rifle...

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

Well, I was going to say that I believe he's a Bavarian Eisenbahn Regt. trooper. They wore the Swedish style cuffs and the shako instead of a pickelhaube. But they also wore litzen on the collar and this fellow has none. The Bavarian Jaegers did have the Swedish cuffs, no litzen, and the shako, so he could be a Jaeger afterall, or he could also be from the Bavarian Machingun unit, which also wore the shako and had no collar litzen.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Chris,

I would guess he is from the Telegraphentruppen or maybe the Luftschiffertruppen. The ammo pouches are typical of the Verkehrstruppen and the French rifle would also indicate a non-front line contingent. The straps appear to have light colored piping, which would have been light gray for the aforementioned units.

Chip

Chris,

I would guess he is from the Telegraphentruppen or maybe the Luftschiffertruppen. The ammo pouches are typical of the Verkehrstruppen and the French rifle would also indicate a non-front line contingent. The straps appear to have light colored piping, which would have been light gray for the aforementioned units.

Chip

Chip,

I'm definitely not the expert here, but according to the reference I have Bavarian Telegraphentruppen would be out because they wore double litzen on their collars, and so did the Lufschiffertruppen and Fliegertruppen. The only Bavarians I see with shakos and no collar litzen are Jaeger and Maschinengewehr. Am I missing something?

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Mike,

You would be correct for the peacetime Bavarian Luftschiffer or Telegraphentruppen, but the Bavarian Verkehrstruppen had two tunics, one with Litzen, the so-called Friedensgarnitur and one without Litzen, the Kriegsgarnitur. This would be the field uniform version, without the Litzen. Here is a circa 1912 uniform plate which shows the difference. The Bavarians did not adopt the light gray shoulder strap piping until the spring of 1914.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Mike,

You would be correct for the peacetime Bavarian Luftschiffer or Telegraphentruppen, but the Bavarian Verkehrstruppen had two tunics, one with Litzen, the so-called Friedensgarnitur and one without Litzen, the Kriegsgarnitur. This would be the field uniform version, without the Litzen. Here is a circa 1912 uniform plate which shows the difference. The Bavarians did not adopt the light gray piping until the spring of 1914.

Chip

Thanks, Chip. I didn't realize they had two field grey uniforms, one with litzen and one without. I'm more into dunkleblau anyway. :speechless1:

• 1 year later...

Is it possible that the fellow in the first photo is holding a studio prop? It may have been a matter that he showed up in uniform sans a rifle and this one was handy. I know this used to happen here in Canada though it was usually a riding crop. The Japanese lower ranks would often borrow a sword from an NCO for their photo, it must have confused the folks back home when the letter and photo arrived. :lol:

Just a thought.

Regards

Brian

Is it possible that the fellow in the first photo is holding a studio prop? It may have been a matter that he showed up in uniform sans a rifle and this one was handy. I know this used to happen here in Canada though it was usually a riding crop. The Japanese lower ranks would often borrow a sword from an NCO for their photo, it must have confused the folks back home when the letter and photo arrived. :lol:

Just a thought.

Regards

Brian

Hi,

some of the rear area units were issued Lebels, they even had adaptors for German bayonets.

Best

Chrius

• 3 years later...