News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Aeroflot Badge

Interesting. What is the size?

I tend to think that things that are numbered are (A) more significant than things that aren't numbered and (B) are, were, or once were capable of being traced (though I've been told in Ulanbaatar that unnumbred awards were seen as so trivial by the recipients that in some cases the awards were numbered just to make them feel more important).

Ed,

The badge is 4.6cm (1 13/16") wide and 3cm (1 1/4") high. While military awards are tracable I don't know about Aeroflot badges. I've browsed on the Soviet Awards Page and there seems to be little to no knowledge about Aeroflot uniforms, rank insignia, awards, badges etc. While there are some pictures posted they are just that. Pictures without a lot of available information about the hat, uniform etc although hats are better documented on "Under the Red Star" web site. I did post pictures of the badge in that forum just to see what I can find there.

Regards,

Gordon

So often, if something isn't military, there is limited interest in in. Always wondered why that was the case. Both the forum you referenced and even this one even use that word in their names.

And the only archives in which research is known are those in which research has been done. I know that is a tautology, but it is true. Brings us back to that military fixation. I guess pre-pubescent males rarely played games of being an airline pilot?

Other archives and records are (or were) out there. If someone were to look . . . ??

Guest Rick Research

Doh! That would explain why I couldn't find it on a search! Commie Flying Babes stick in memory-- just wrong variety! Knew that was around here as SOMETHING! :cheers:

There is a book on soviet civilian aviation uniforms 1929-1990. All in Russian, of course, but well worth looking for if you have any interest in the subject. I don't have this book, but I do have the other three books in the series (about the uniforms of the Russian/Soviet air force). They are GREAT, probably the best uniform reference I have ever read. If it was used by the air force it's in there. I'm sure the civilian aviation book is the same quality.

collectrussia has one for sale:

http://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=19097

/Kim

Oh yessss! :jumping:

The Air Force volumes are wonderful/wondrous, even for Russian-illiterates (like me). If we had similar volumes for other services (and I am told they are on the way . . . save every kopeck) . . . . :jumping:

Have not seen the civilian volume. Guess I should . . . :rolleyes:

Need speedy RNA transplant for the Russian language . . . . :speechless:

There is a book on soviet civilian aviation uniforms 1929-1990. All in Russian, of course, but well worth looking for if you have any interest in the subject. I don't have this book, but I do have the other three books in the series (about the uniforms of the Russian/Soviet air force). They are GREAT, probably the best uniform reference I have ever read. If it was used by the air force it's in there. I'm sure the civilian aviation book is the same quality.

collectrussia has one for sale:

http://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=19097

/Kim

Kim,

Thanks very much for the book info. I checked Collect Russia and the book looks very interesting. Their standard book shipping fee is $40.00 so I will have to give this some thought. I don't mind paying fair prices but I have always baulked at buying books from them in the past because of the high shipping fees.

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon

I'm not saying that you should buy from collectrussia. It was only the first site I knew would have the book. In fact I have never myself gotten anything from them. The shipping price/policy to Europe is just plain preventive.

You could try some of the Russian online bookstores.

/Kim