News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 EK 2 Maker Marks

You got me to looking at my M and IVI, and now I won't sleep tonight.

Maybe because I have a night job? :cheeky: Anyhow, the gist of it is, the cores are identical. the only difference being about 1 gm. in weight.... and what I've called an M for years is really an IVI :o So, next question, does the M actually exist? Any good scans of a real M out there?

Here's another for consideration from, of all people, Joe Campbell. Is it an "M" or an "IVI"? What do you gentlemen think? Either way, it's a beautiful cross, and with a non combatant ribbon!

[attachmentid=16341]

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by Bill Garvy

herr bill-

great shots!

the way your MM is open on the right peak is the way my left peak is open.

BTW, bill and i occasionally trade, and i am ALWAYS pleased with what

he sends me.

herr tom-

i wish i could decide with such enthusiasm...

i'm just not sure. i hope maybe gordon or

micha might have some thoughts.

c'mon guys...

admit it...

minutiae is FUN!!!

joe

Nice shots!But it's a hard case....after lkooking a while at your pics I'm voting for "IVI"-why?I've got a "MM" in my collection-please have a look.The arms of the "M's" are tighter together,exactely in the way I would expect it!Here is the ring with the maker mark:

On the IVI the uprights and diagonals are squared off at the tops and there's a distinct, though slight, separation. On Bill's the left upright and diagonal are joined and the right are tapered. This can be accounted fr by the slight angle of the mark and the curvature of the ring, causing an incomplete stamping. I still say definitely an M.