News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gold Badge -- 13th Grenadier Regiment

Chuck In Oregon

Guest Rick Research

A question relevant to all these badges, but inserted here as currently the newest--

were all these badges given upon initial commissioning as a lieutenant in the regiment? Or were they "honorary" as well and given to former members upon significant jubilees, and so on?

My Tsarist awareness (I will not say knowledge) is basic, but in photos I have never seen more than ONE of this type of badge being worn...

so WAS it possible to be eligible for one than one?

Say, Badge 1 when first commissioned in Regiment X,

but Badge 2 as a more senior officer in another regiment when that had a big anniversary?

Could holders of multiple badges pick and choose which ONE they wore, or as the whim took them?

I'm trying to understand how a General, say, who had been commissioned in one regiment, served in another, graduated from the General Staff Academy-- would have selected WHICH badge(s?) to wear?

Nice piece. The Solid Gold badges are sooooo hard to find.

My books show it as the 13 th Erivan Life-Grenadier Regiment of His Majesty..

George

Yes, that is undoubtedly correct and it also makes sense given what little I know of this badge and that unit. It is definitely from the Caucasus. Thank you.

I am very interested in what book you are referring to. Which book is it and do you know where I can find it? We should probably have a separate thread on what references we use and where they are available. I think that most collectors buy lots of reference books. Mine are so inadequate. I would sure like to buy some new ones. There is always more to learn.

BTW, what is your source for those nifty acrylic medal displays. I just googled for them but haven't yet come across the exact ones that you have.

Chuck

A question relevant to all these badges, but inserted here as currently the newest--

were all these badges given upon initial commissioning as a lieutenant in the regiment? Or were they "honorary" as well and given to former members upon significant jubilees, and so on?

My Tsarist awareness (I will not say knowledge) is basic, but in photos I have never seen more than ONE of this type of badge being worn...

so WAS it possible to be eligible for one than one?

Say, Badge 1 when first commissioned in Regiment X,

but Badge 2 as a more senior officer in another regiment when that had a big anniversary?

Could holders of multiple badges pick and choose which ONE they wore, or as the whim took them?

I'm trying to understand how a General, say, who had been commissioned in one regiment, served in another, graduated from the General Staff Academy-- would have selected WHICH badge(s?) to wear?

My knowledge about Russian Imperial Regimental badges is very imited, so I would really like to know this too.

Btw, thanks for posting all this beautiful badges. :beer:

best,

Gerd

• 2 months later...