News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Show Your Japanese Medal Hallmarks & Maker's Marks

Gunjinantiques

Dear TracA,

Thank you. I really appreciated your message.

"There are also variations with the S marked on the ball instead of the ring and variations with the Y as convex instead of concave"

Thank you, I didn't know that.

I have another medal with a wrapper from Kabushiki gaisha Yamazaki shōten nō, but I'm not sure of the hallmark.

It appears that the stamping was done improperly.

image.thumb.jpeg.8780f3631fcb35098f83199a1ab26380.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.95e136816238085e048b4c273905e52b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.246d837ac46b1f229ca72aa64d107899.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.39cad2447c2da50f35253b943765f9f5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a0a350d57ac6b3f5db3336597dfaa8b3.jpeg

image.jpeg.830037f78479ee29c13eed8d8e4fda37.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one

Edited by No one

No One,

Indeed, it looks like the mark on the above medal was not completely stamped. An interesting item to have in your collection. 

Tracy

I just received this lovely Order of the Sacred Treasure 6th Class, cased. On the reverse below the 6h rivet is the M mark of the Japan Mint, Osaka. The M mark is a nice, strong strike. In just the right light at just the right angle the ribbon looks to be a very, very pale blue. Otherwise, it looks to be a dirty/off white. Gold kanji grace the lid with the “Meiji/Taisho” stylization of (kun). Unfortunately this one did not come with a rosette. Oh well, you “can’t win ‘em all” as they say.

Tracy

Obverse:

OST 6th Class M Mark Obv.jpg

Reverse:

OST 6th Class M Mark Rev.jpg

M mark up close:

OST 6th Class M Mark Close.jpg

Finally, the case lid:

OST 6th Class M Mark Case Lid.jpg

…and another Order of the Sacred Treasure with a hallmark. This is a 5th Class with (hei) on the reverse just below the 6h rivet. About the hallmark see Medals of Asia at https://asiamedals.info/threads/mark-on-japanese-order-who-and-when.15113/

No rosette with this one. The lid has gold kanji with the “Meiji/Taisho” stylization of (kun).

This is what, I believe, JapanX would refer to as “a salty specimen”. The photos below actually make it appear lighter than it really is. The ribbon is so heavily soiled that it looks brown. The silver is quite tarnished and has a dull gray look. Some dirt won’t easily come off of the white enameled rays and almost each of the red glass cabochon “jewels” is chipped/pitted and/or scratched. Nonetheless, I’m delighted to have this in my collection.

Enjoy.

Tracy

Obverse:

OST 5th Class HEI Mark Obv.jpg

Reverse:

OST 5th Class HEI Mark Rev.jpg

The (hei) hallmark up close:

OST 5th Class HEI Mark Close.jpg

…and finally, the case lid:

OST 5th Class HEI Mark Case Lid.jpg

Edited by TracA
    Word Change

Dear TracA,

It was worn, I like it. In French we will say « dans son jus* »

*(The term refers to an old item that has been preserved as it is, without being restored or cleaned)

It is a nice addition to your collection.

Yours sincerely,

No one

Dear Gentlemen,

This 8th class of Order of the Pillars of State has a rosette that has the Japanese "ス" hallmark on it.

This manufacturer appears to have produced many rosettes.

image.thumb.jpeg.3901be291ada4e7c7b88f83f4f5ff365.jpg.24cf75377c4a548429b78fa61cfbd69e.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.c7b0c7e257e83b4b0da378e58e890725.jpg.81739e56a4bab2d7dcb42652f7a2d5e9.jpg

Yours sincerely,

No one

I am lucky enough to have added another order with a hallmark to my collection. This is another Order of the Sacred Treasure 3rd Class, which makes the sixth 3rd Class in my collection: five for males and one for females. Out of the six orders, five of them have hallmarks. 

The latest addition is a four rivet reverse and below the rivet at the 6h is the hallmark N. This is the mark of the Japan Medal Manufacturing Corporation. Known dates of manufacture are, as of today, January 1929 to February 18, 1930. Of course, see Medals of Asia at https://asiamedals.info/threads/mark-n-on-japanese-orders-and-medals-who-and-when.14995/ for a discussion of the N hallmark in general and at https://asiamedals.info/threads/orders-of-the-sacred-treasure-with-mark-n.14999/ 

for a gallery of Sacred Treasures with the N mark.

It is in beautiful condition, with only a single red glass cabochon “jewel” exhibiting damage: the one at 12h. I note that the button rosette also has a mark on its underside: (su). The case lid has gold kanji and the “Meiji/Taisho” stylization of 勣 (kun). As a side note, the silver latch is so tarnished that it is basically black in color. 

I was thrilled to add this wonderful example to my collection.

Enjoy.

Tracy

Obverse with ribbon and rosette:

OST 3rd Class N Mark Ribbon Rosette Obv.jpg

Reverse, with the N just visible under the rivet at 6h:

OST 3rd Class N Mark Rev.jpg

The N hallmark up close:

OST 3rd Class N Mark Close 2.jpg

The case lid:

OST 3rd Class N Mark Lid.jpg