News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

religious grand officer set

KDVR

Hello collector friends

Could you give me a helping hand with that award:

1. Exact description of that decoration

2. Which version and how long awarded

3. Value

Many thanks

KDVR

From what I've been able to locate rather quickly, the Order of Our Lady of Mercy was originally a military and religious order that had both monks and knights. If I read correctly though, the knights were done away with hundreds of years ago and not it is a strictly religious order. The coat of arms of the relgious order are exactly the same as the center of the cross and breast star.

Yes, this is the Order of our Lady of Mercy which supposedly traces itself back to 1218 or so. The order still exists in a semi-official relationship with the Catholic Church. It seems most active in Spain, Portugal and Italy. Some branches exist in South America. There are a couple of web sites that detail the order's history & activities--e.g. saints.sqpn.com/ncd06138.htm

As to price that depends on what a willing buyer would pay--the prices listed by our dealer colleagues seem a bit high, but perhaps I'm out of touch. A Spanish type commander's badge sold on eBay recently for 100 euros.

Many thanks for the information - It's a great help for me!

Do you know how many grades / levels do exist of that decoration?

Short answer---no.

In the late 1970s, the ANS library had a copy of the order's 1903 or 1906 [Latin] statutes. The document listed 5 'regulation' grades. These were grand cross, grand commander {insignia like yours], commander, officer, and knight all with the typical insignia associated with these ranks. Over the years, the statutes were amended and translated into various national languages several times. Spanish language statutes have been offered on eBay--don't know if they related to the Spanish or Latin American branches of the Order.

I am not sure, but insignia variations seem to suggest that there are more grades now, maybe depending on national branch or langue. In the mid-1990s, Bob McNamara had a set of collar, badge and star set in his collection that appeared to be of French manufacture. French insignia uses a black ribbon, presumably to avoid confusion with the Legion of Honor. I have seen several medals with the central device of your badge and star on red ribbons. There may have been [be] unenameled except for the centers [possibly donat's insignia?] associated with this Order. Kai Meyer 's collection contained such insignia but whether they were actual awards or unfinished pieces is a mystery.

Insignia with maker's plates or marks exists, those seen to date: Italy--Gardino, Johnson, Cravanzola; France--Bacqueville, Halley; Spain--Celavjo; Portugal---Medina, da Costa. I am not sure but perhaps remember seeing a Rothe [Vienna] made Grand Cross set and a La Royale [Rio] marked star. I'd guess that maybe about 1/2-1/3 of the stars have makers marks.

Most insignia appears similar in design and execution to yours but Spanish or Portugese [?] made crosses sometimes have more rounded or sharper angles and larger centers. Some stars, again Spanish or Portugese?, have larger centers. Some commander badges, yet again, likely Spanish, hang from braided cords rather than cravat ribbons. Some badges do not have suspension crowns. These varients may signify national usage, manufacturer short-cuts, or sub-grades.

Cases are usually red leatherette, sometimes with the jeweler's name on the inside lid, sometimes with the center of Order of our Lady of Mercy insignia embossed in gilt on the outer lid.

Many thanks for your great help :jumping:

Do you have pictures of a grand cross set? possible to post them here?

Thank you

KDVR

I do not have access to images of a grand cross set.

Except for the ribbon, most grand cross insignia is similar to your set with stars being 85-95 mm wide and badges [including crown] 100-110 mm tall and 65-70 mm wide. Sashes are 100-105 mm. wide. McNamara's collar set star's body was gilt and so was a Medina marked 85 mm wide star. I believe McNamara's collar was composed of white enameled miniature size order crosses alternating with gilt crowns connected via small gilt chains. A regular grand cross badge with crown was attached to the collar.