News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yemen medals

Bob

Interesting stuff - do they have captions?

Mostly not - rather frustratingly.

I suspect these are all modern awards and figured it would be a good opportunity while at the museum a few weeks ago to just take a pic of it all and post it onto GMIC for "the greater benefit". Perhaps an expert can specify what it is that we're actually looking at.

Gentlemen,

A great selection of the awards of the Republic of Yemen (RoY)- in the most part based on the existing awards of the Yemen Arab Republic (YAR) but new manufacturer, ECC Group (German I believe) and with design variations. From the top & off the top of my head aided by labels:

Order of Unity (22 May 1990)

10th Anniversary of Unification Medal (2000) - there is a unification ribbon but no medal.

Order of 30th November (Brits leave PDRY 1967) - replaces a Soviet style PDRY Order of Independence.

Order of 14 October ( Start of Radfan Uprising 1963) - replaces PDRY Order of Revolution.

Order of Seventy (Commemorates Royalist siege of Sana'a in civil war 1967/8 and this appears to be an original YAR award by Skinner of Bond Street, London issue - only awarded at this level to senior officers present although there is now, post unification, a Medal or Decoration of Seventy)

Medals of Service (yellow), Duty (green) & Honour (blue) - there are at least three incarnations of this series.

Order of War Wounded - single class neck badge.

Order of Bravery - single class sash and sash badge

Collars of the Republic and Unity.

I was in Sana'a a couple of weekends ago and the selection of awards in the Military Museum there is not as good, but I suspect the illustrated series was used to provide new items for the Aden Museum which was looted during the post unification seccession attempt and also to demonstrate some visible symbols of unity. All good stuff!

Owain

Edited by oamotme

I was in Sana'a as well a few weeks ago. Will have a look in my pics to see if there's anything interesting. Military (i.e. medals) were very difficult to find (it was easier to get offfers to buy pistols to be honest... incl. people trying to convince me that there'd be no problem to put it in my stow away luggage, go to the airport and then they'd come with me to clarify to the security that they should just let me check in the luggage incl. x-ray of pistol because it was just "antique"... never mind that it was in full working order; in the end i did manage to convince that the Belgian customs would be less "understanding"). Anyway, only saw a few ribbons/medals (all modern era) for sale in Sana'a at exchange bureau's (who do some business on the side switching valuables for $ i guess) and at a small military shop in the center off town. Apparently in the Taizz souq there's a good militaria show but I didn't hear about that until I'd already passed Taizz...

Very nice, Bob. Many thanks!

As Owain has said, almost all post-unification, items on which scant information has been published. Much to digest here!!

To be honest, I had no clue what I was looking at (and nobody around to tell me either) so just did my version of the cliche of Japanese tourists and just too pictures of everything:)

Below is another interesting one... awarding ceremony (with the president and lots of kids)?