News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi

just obtained this from a fellow member and could do with a little help.

Includes his pass book EK/HB and WB certifictes and a few other bits.

I would appreciate any help or information you can let me have about Robert Kallweit.

First picture is of the EK2 Certificate-Smaller than I am used to seeing at only

6 inches long and dated 30 November 1919 which I do not understand-Can someone

explain this to me.

thanks

a document stuck in the rear of his pass book-any ida what it says please

K?nigsberg 12.9.10

Musketier Robert Kalweit

6. Kompagnie Inf. Regt. No. 43

war von Herbst 1909 bis Herbst 1910

bei mir Bursche. Er hat sich in dieser Zeit

gut gef?hrt, war ...., eifrig, ehrlich und

gen?gsam.

von G....

Oberstleutnant

Thanks-put this into an online translation and got the gist of it-Anyone help with the rest of the group-~Would

really like to know about the EK certificate dates

thanks

andy

First picture is of the EK2 Certificate-Smaller than I am used to seeing at only

6 inches long and dated 30 November 1919 which I do not understand-Can someone

explain this to me.

thanks

Andy;

Many EK were given out after the war; I'm not an expert on medals, but I think I saw someone stating that it might have been 1.5 million. In my father's case, he volunteered for Gallipoli, and then volunteered for the flamethrower arm, and fought (sporatically) as a flamethrower operator for 2 1/2 years, being wounded four times, and serving as a Trupp leader.

But he only got his EK II in 1921, when he applied to the War Ministry for one, I believe. And he never was promoted past Pionier (private). He was a good combat soldier, I believe, and was wounded four times in combat, but he was a naughty, naughty soldier, not a team player at all; the leadership of his company was corrupt and abusive, and he hated them. He (and others) shot and killed the company CO, and he shot a sergeant in the ass on live fire manuvers, and he kicked in the face of another sergeant in such a way that the sergeant was put on charges for getting kicked, and he was likely to freely say his mind to anyone, such as officers. (I have a lot of correspondence, and family history, and there are many incidents; he really exasperated his father, a staff officer.)He got away with all of these misdeeds.He was quite a manipulator. But no EK during the war, not the slightest promotion, but they could not deny him his wound badge, of course. Another factor was him serving after the war in a Freikorps and then in the Schwartze Reichswehr.

That is one case for a post-war EK, I imagine that most of the many others were not that dramatic. It was said by someone that the only way to avoid an EK II as a combat soldier was the grave. I imagine that, postwar, they had certain standards, months in combat, wounds, that would allow a post-war award of an EK II. But I do not know for certain.

Bob Lembke

Many thanks

What confused me was that the date of award on the certificate reads 30 november 1919 and the issue date 20 December 1919-I understand the late issue but still am a little confused about the award date-Am I just being thick??

Here is a closer scan of the stamp on the EK certificate-Any ideas about any other

of the documents

regards

andy

Edited by andy