News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

LIBERATION OF BELGRAD

KDVR,

the Belgrad medal has a wrong reverse. The date 13.02.1945 is from the Budapest medal. The Belgrad medal schows the date 20.10.1944.

A longer time ago, there was a discussion if medals with wrong dates exist (mint errors) or if they are later restrikes of the mint/fakes.

I am not totally sure how the discussion ended, but if I remember right these medals with wrong reverse were not original.

On the Mondvor webpage they removed this medal types a longer time ago.

regards

Andreas

Guest Darrell

KDVR,

......I am not totally sure how the discussion ended, but if I remember right these medals with wrong reverse were not original.

.....regards

Andreas

Andreas, you are correct with this assumption. They have been deemed as fake.

Many thanks for that important information. So the description in the collectors guide to Sowiet medals, written by Mc Daniel, about the 3rd type of the Belgrade medal (wrong inscription on the back side) must be seen as a copy.

May be someone of the forum has more information: this medal was bought by a collector in the early 90ies in Moscow. At that time copies of WWII campaign medals were very poor. So who could be the producer of that medal? In comparison with the well known Belgrade fakes and copies of the 90ies, this medal has a very high finish. Could it be possible that this medal was produced semi-officially by a mint - for little extra money? Who knows more?

I can not tell you specifics, but I can state for certain that in 1995 I was at a gun fair in Utah where large US style refrigerator "baggie" BAGS of these were being sold for $100. That was about $2 a medal. The most common were the commemoratives and anniversarys, but there were also smaller BAGs of these campaign medals.

The campaign medals were sold as "restrikes" (and looked genuine to me) from the Russian mint and the guys selling them said they'd got them from dealers in NYC who had bought them in Moscow: "The Russians will sell you anything for cash".

Yes , it is possible that some early good fakes maybe made from the mint (Red Banner 8, 9 ..) or from personel who worked for the mint.

A few month ago I also hold a city medal with wrong reverse in my hand and it was also bought in the very early 90?s and the quality was good.

I saw no difference in the reverse to a regular medal.

regards

Andreas