News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gents, i was surfing the evilbay as you do..... :rolleyes:

And i spotted this!

http://cgi.ebay.de/GERMAN-Prussian-Medal-B...1QQcmdZViewItem

This person is destroying a HUGE group!....he is selling off everything piece by peice!

The medal bar! selling all of the medals seperately!

the group is of father and son! and has all the documents too!

I just wish the seller would have the sense to sell TOGETHER! as a lot...to keep it together....

Rant Rave..... :angry:

After combing through this clown's (the seller!) listings, I would have to say that apart from the insensitivity to history and family, the blatent and forthright attempt to maximize his return from the group is only seconded by the different bidders. I have never understood the mentality of the "I only wanted this anyway", or the "I only collect this" anyway bidder......... The main reason these type of things continues to be perpetuated is that people bid.

Maybe, if everyone who did not bid sent this idiot an eMail stating that they will not bid and why and what they would have been willing to pay for an intact group................ they might get the message.

I rather doubt it, but who knows?

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

don't try rick - if someone was born as an idiot, your not above god, allah (or however you want to call him/it) - those people will stick to what they are.

and they can be happy - because they are so stupid they don't realize it - and something i thought very long (much longer than i thought about some copies of the battle clasps of the Kolonialdenkm?nze - its never possible to change something/anything - try to live with it and make it better - perhaps than something changes - or not, but don't tell others that they are stupid, idiots, ... than they'll never change - give them yourself as an example how something can work, and this have to be enough)

anyway, as long as we keep history as what it is, we do the best in this world - (and who knows, if the guy gets a few "nice" fakes into his collection - and is happy about it, do you want to tell him - i don't - because if no one asks me about comments, i don't give them, and every one is happy :rolleyes::catjava:)

hope its not offending what i wrote - but thats the life - at least what i think about after those 20 years i stay here.

christian

I understand Christian, but it's very frustrating. I have done the "buy it all and keep it together" thing a couple of times and in the end, when it comes time to pass it forward, no-one else seems real interested. Look at some of the outrageous groups good dealers we know in Germany have split up after trying to sell the group(s) intact...... Perhaps we have simply doomed ourselves with the prices some of these pieces command now.

Very frustrating indeed.

It has become very common with British groups that the high-end unnamed stuff (well, all this German stuff is unnamed) to be stripped off, sold separately. The assumption, apparently, is that having the guy's CB or CSI with the group would just drive up the price too much. Instead, you are faced with having to reconstitute (= fake) a group later on if you care about history.

Yes, it all comes back to the upward spiral of prices. Glad I am an old-timer who started decades ago. No wonder all the OMSA are gray-beards and no new blood comes in. Not sure how a young collector could get started these days.

thats THE PROBLEM - prices!!!!!!!!!

i would call me as a REAL starter - but money is short and not growing on the trees.

but i would never slaughter a bar - i'm "happy" if i get "parts" because they are affortable, but i can look into the mirror every morning and say, its the way i got it - but if i have to decide between having and slaugthering, i would say not having - otherwise i wouldn't enjoy the medal with knowing in which "neighborhood" it could be.

but does anyone of the "older" generation have an idea about getting new blood into collecting (collecting frontfighter crosses can be nice but for many it isn't!)

christian

Guest Rick Research

"but if i have to decide between having and slaugthering, i would say not having"

That's my system, Christian. I can't afford to bankrupt myself to "rescue" things that stupid greedy people are ruining-- there is too much of that in the world, unfortunately.

After 40 years of collecting, I can still be HAPPY with a portrait photograph or a ribbon bar-- I don't need to spend LOTS of money on things to enjoy my hobby.

It is a crime against history and a sin against the memory of someone to smash up groups, but my attitude is that the blackmailer/extortionist IDIOT of a seller should not be rewarded for doing so by putting MY money in HIS pockets.

Well, i am going to keep an eye on it anyway...and see what happens...

I am tempted to try for the Medal LESS Bar...could replace the medlas individually easily enough...

BUT!

I would like the whole group! and its thanks to people like this...we nver get to see these groups together ...even for sale....as GREEDY MONGRUELS want MONEY....so they just tear up History willy nilly and dont give a toss for History or that persons contribution...

Harrrrumph!

Gone to have a scotch...to calm down.....

Regards

Paul

Yes a Single malt indeed! cannot drink the blended stuff! Ptui....

I may do this.( go for the lot)..but as mentioned earlier...the prices will be driven up....and up....so may push themselves outta my reach...

( Gotta be sensible here)

Regards

Paul

not that it'll do any good, but I sent the toerag a rather nasty e-mail. At least it made me fel better.

I think it was Gordon, in another time and another place, who described a suitable punishment for him involving a length of garden hose and some barbed wire. :angry: