News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dragon of Annam

alex82

Hello Gentleman

I'm looking to expand my collection with a Dragon of Annam medal but french medals are really not my field.

I Like the medals Boxed, so how does the original Box for this medal looks like? Can anyone post a Picture?

I really love the history and specially the design of this medal, one of the most beautifully medals I have ever seen.

So if someone have one, it would be great I see some Pictures and Info's here... :jumping:

Thank you

a l e x

• 1 month later...

apparently no one have a case for this medal. I now have bought a dragon of annam, I mentioned that there are different types of dragons. Is there any reference about that? Or are these varieties only from different manufacturer?

here is mine...

This order was made by a wide variety of manufacturers in both France and Vietnam, hence the quality of pieces varies a lot (as do the boxes of issue). In general the pieces made by French jewellers are of higher quality than the pieces made in Vietnam.

This order was made by a wide variety of manufacturers in both France and Vietnam, hence the quality of pieces varies a lot (as do the boxes of issue). In general the pieces made by French jewellers are of higher quality than the pieces made in Vietnam.

I have never seen a case for an Indo-Chinese one. The cased ones I have seen have always been in standard French cases. If anyone has an Indo-Chinese case I would be interested in seeing a picture.

All the best,

Paul

Hello Gentleman

I'm looking to expand my collection with a Dragon of Annam medal but french medals are really not my field.

I Like the medals Boxed, so how does the original Box for this medal looks like? Can anyone post a Picture?

I really love the history and specially the design of this medal, one of the most beautifully medals I have ever seen.

So if someone have one, it would be great I see some Pictures and Info's here... :jumping:

Thank you

a l e x

I am too embarrased to show mine after seeing the one you posted. Much of the cloisone on mine (the green dragon scales) have worn off as well as the red oval riband on the pendant. What is interesting is that the green and yellow dragon scales reflect the color of the ribbon which is 7mm yellow, 22mm kight green and 7mm yellow which indicates that it was made in France and awarded by the president. The same medal with a 7mm yellow stripe, 22mm red center stripe and 7mm yellow, would have been awarded by the Emperor. There is another version that has two dark red 7mm edge stripes with a 22mm lighter red center stripe.

Did you say that you purchased the one that you posted?

At a recent H.D. Rauch auction last month the biddibg on one of these started at 2,00 euros. I do not know what the hammer brought.

A good description/history of this medal is contained in the OMSA Monograph "Orders, Decorations, and Medals of the French Overseas and the Post Colonial Periods" by Edward J. Emering.

Dick

Thank you for the tip Dick!

I got this medal a few weeks ago from the french ebay site for about 200Euro.

Right now there is a Order of Cambodia Grand Cross with breast star in auction:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=270409066665

I would love to have the change to go for this one.

a l e x

Alex:

That was an excellent buy and it appears that it is one of the better ones made in Paris.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Dick

Hello again

As promised, here is my document for the dragon of annam. I have no proof that this dokument belongs to the medal I have but they are both ftom the same seller.

My French is a bit rusty but it was issued for a second lieutenant of the coast guard (forces c?ti?res) march 20. 1948.

The part of the document were to fill in the date of issue is preprinted: mil neuf cent trente (onetousend ninehunder thirty) the last number is left empty 193_ but the thirty is crosed and there ist "quarante septe" (48) filled in, voil? = 1948. So the dokument was originaly printed fot the thirties but sill used in the late forties.

there is also a second document, a letter. It is issued by "vincent auriol" which was the president of the republic of France 1947?1954. Maybe someone which is native french can tell me more about this?

thank you

a l e x

I am too embarrased to show mine after seeing the one you posted. Much of the cloisone on mine (the green dragon scales) have worn off as well as the red oval riband on the pendant. What is interesting is that the green and yellow dragon scales reflect the color of the ribbon which is 7mm yellow, 22mm kight green and 7mm yellow which indicates that it was made in France and awarded by the president. The same medal with a 7mm yellow stripe, 22mm red center stripe and 7mm yellow, would have been awarded by the Emperor. There is another version that has two dark red 7mm edge stripes with a 22mm lighter red center stripe.

Did you say that you purchased the one that you posted?

At a recent H.D. Rauch auction last month the biddibg on one of these started at 2,00 euros. I do not know what the hammer brought.

A good description/history of this medal is contained in the OMSA Monograph "Orders, Decorations, and Medals of the French Overseas and the Post Colonial Periods" by Edward J. Emering.

Dick

Here is a picture of mine. As you can see, it is quite a bit older except for the ribbon. Interestingly it hass a hallmark on the back of the dragon. The letter "A"

Dick