News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Flammenwerfer! Flames, skulls and stuff

Here's a photo of Bernhard Reddemann, commander of the flamethrower regiment, in what I think is a postwar photo. His sleeve badge looks almost identical to the sleeve badge of a Reichswehr flamethrower pioneer I posted somewhere earlier in this monster thread.

How's this for a theory? After the war, the flamethrower pioneers were required to remove their wartime badges, because they were awarded by the Kaiser. The Reichswehr then issued white badges of a slightly different shape. These were soon removed after the regiment was disbanded in early 1919.

So, maybe that black Totenkopf is a shortlived Reichswehr badge signifying... something.

How's this for a theory? After the war, the flamethrower pioneers were required to remove their wartime badges, because they were awarded by the Kaiser. The Reichswehr then issued white badges of a slightly different shape. These were soon removed after the regiment was disbanded in early 1919.

Unless the Kaiser had specified "Oval with grey skull" then just changing the shape and colour would serve no purpose, they would still be wearing a skull on the lower left arm.

The EK1 was awarded by the Kaiser as well... and he is still wearing that.

Best

Chris

Unless the Kaiser had specified "Oval with grey skull" then just changing the shape and colour would serve no purpose, they would still be wearing a skull on the lower left arm.

The EK1 was awarded by the Kaiser as well... and he is still wearing that.

Best

Chris

The official pattern--the two you have--were to be worn "for the duration of the war," according to the letter sent to the regiment by the Crown Prince. We see far more postwar photos of white skulls cut to a different pattern than official gray skulls. And the letter by the Crown Prince didn't specify a cloth oval backing, by the way. I've got several photos of skulls worn without the oval. I've also got two photos of men wearing the oval without the skull, which to me indicates that they sewed the oval on first while they were wating to receive their offical skull badge.

The iron Cross was first awarded in 1813 by King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia. There were rules governing how it could be worn, you know. Initially, it had to be worn with the blank side out. But there were never any rules regarding the period during which it could be worn. The official Flammenwerfer Totenkopf was to be worn only for the duration of the war. By changing the pattern and color, the men could follow the rules but still advertise the fact that they had served in the prestigious regiment.

Maybe some guy had his poatwar patch made in black just to be cool.

Ha ha....

The one advantage to this is.... fakers who cannot find the right grey will just go "Bollx... saw a black one somewhere on the net..."

Next to this "gauranteed original " even Robins looks good.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Totenkopfabzeichen-der-Gardepioniere-/260981050862?pt=Militaria&hash=item3cc3aecdee

Ha ha.... The one advantage to this is.... fakers who cannot find the right grey will just go "Bollx... saw a black one somewhere on the net..." Next to this "gauranteed original " even Robins looks good. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Totenkopfabzeichen-der-Gardepioniere-/260981050862?pt=Militaria&hash=item3cc3aecdee

It looks like Chris's skull after a hard night out on the town. The back of the patch even has an ugly yellow stain.

Can't sellers be banned for posting obvious fakes as "guaranteed original"?

Edited by Thomas W

The more they try to fake this badge, the more encouraged I become! :)

No doubt Stefan thinks likewise.

Robin,

did you notice? They tried to copy the details of your skull (bones etc.). Details of my skull look a little bit different.

PS: I think they made more than two big mistakes. ;)

................ even Robins looks good.

Chris.

Thanks for posting the link.

Very interesting to see how far they will go.

As you know, I have one of the two grey ones, and have had the opportunity to compare it closely with the black one.

I don't think anyone else has had the chance to do this ............. i.e. to compare a known original grey one and the black one side-by-side at close quarters.

Let's just say .............. I'm still over the moon with blackie.

If there was any doubt in my mind, it would be in the bin. ;)

Just have to find a period photo of it in wear ................. :banger:

One of these days ..................... :jumping: