News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Today I took a stroll down to one of the local museums.

I saw this German medal bar in one of the display cases. The accompanying text simply says "German mounting"...

Is it identifiable or is it a lost cause? I'm being rather curious...

Note the rather odd 'double ribbon' on the 3rd medal from the bottom...

/Mike

Edited by Great Dane

Guest Rick Research

I can't find anybody with this combination... possibly something has been swapped out-- like the Strelitz cross for a Schwerin one (given the Schwerin Commemorative Medal following it).

The funny looking Duke Ernst medal ribbon is because the stupid ugly Italian style suspension loop has been pulled out and down in an old attempt to hid the enamel damage from the adjacent Ernestine Knight 1st Class, and it hasn't faded as badly as the rest of this poor thing--too much sunlight, wherever it is.

It SHOULD be traceable, as a career officer's bar with an odd combination of awards, and the only thing I can think is that something has been replaced on a correct ribbon but NOT the correct class, throwing off the scent.

The best match would be (1914) Oberstleutnant Leo von Zimmermann of Gren Rgt 89-- but he had no Anhalt Bear listed.

The Mecklenburg/Anhalt combination shows up in the von Wangenheim family, but not these awards.

Okay. Thanks for trying, Rick.

Unfortunately the non-existing description that accompanies this bar reflects the level of interest the museum (T?jhusmuseet, Copenhagen) has in medals and orders.

The only other mounted bar they have is a Danish one belonging to a Royal person. I know who it is and so do they, but they couldn't be bothered - it's just described as "a Danish bar" :banger:

/Mike

• 2 years later...

Hello Great Dane,

The medal bar will be on display in the coming new permanent gallery at Tøjhúsmuseet - which I am in charge of making :unsure:. The new section on orders and medals will be quite a bit more ambitious than what used to be...

We don't know much about this bar. It was acquired from ”Kommissionen for Konfiskation af Tysk og japansk Ejendom” in 1946, and regrettably has no provenance. I am trying to find out what I can. It would appear that this particular mounting was only made for naval full dress uniforms, so that might be a clue. But I am only guessing. Any suggestions are very welcome!

Best regards

Jakob

Hallo Jakob,

welcome to G.M.I.C. and thanks for the update! :jumping:

Feel free to post info and pictures of any other similar items you may hold at the

new permanent gallery at Tøjhúsmuseet, I am sure they will be of interest to our "international" members.

Kevin in Deva :beer: