News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Field Doctor Lieutenant Pheodosia Bugaenko

Turning the page. . .

Besides her Red Star (#2662993), and Military Merit Medal (#686450) are listed her medals for Victory over Germany and Defense of the Caucasus.

Edited by Bill Garvy

Turning the page, you can see her awards, her Red Star, and her Military Merit Medal listed. I have come to suspect the Order of the Patriotic War (#253442) in 2nd Class may be an "add-on". . .

Edited by Bill Garvy

There was also an Excellent Medic's Badge included in this group. . .

Translations to follow, and in the meantime, your comments, thoughts, and observations are most welcome!

Edited by Bill Garvy

Guest Rick Research

Feodosia Yefimovna had quite a war-- joining the Red Army at 17 (!) being commisioned Medical 2nd Lieutenant-- and an invalid unable to work by 25.

I haven't taxed my eye trying to read the left handed :speechless1: citation writing, assuming you've got it translated but these observations--

Her Orders Book quite peculiarly has the MMM and OPW2 hand written and not stamped-- yet you've matched the MMM.

That OPW2 is in a range of "lost" awards which were processed late. I hope you've GOT it. I wouldn't discount it without trying for research on that as well. I'd say it was something that reached her AFTER the Awards Record Card was filled out in 1946-- and very likely reveals how she was disabled. That seems the common denominator of the "catch up" awards.

For a young woman qualified as a medical lieutanant to be invalided, with her desperately needed skills-- suggests a tragic major wound.

Will stay tuned....

Guest Rick Research

There is nothing above that would indicate what left her incapacitated in 1946-- so I'd say it is "worth" it for the rest of the story.

Bill,

what a super grouping!! This is one of the better ones I have seen in a while. I look forward to seeing the results, if you decide to research the OPW.

Paul

Thank you, Doc, for honoring the memory of Dr. Bugaenko. In the meantime, a research request is being made on Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd Class, nr. 253442, and the results, if any, will be posted along with translations. Please stay tuned!

Edited by Bill Garvy

As initially suspected, the entry in her Order Book for the Order of the Patriotic War in 2nd Class, Nr. 253442, was not legitimate, but artificially added to enhance its value. Regardless, this remains a remarkable grouping. Her story is compelling. Presented here, then, are the translations of the posted documents.

Award Card

Order Booklet A 055488

1. Last name: Bugaenko

2. Name and patrionymic: Feodosiya Efimovna

3. Rank: Medical Service Lieutenant

4. Gender: Female

5. Birthyear: 1921

6. Birthplace: Kiev Oblast, village of D(?)ivka

7. Party membership: n/a

8. Education: mid-level

9. Nationality: Ukrainian

10. Time in Red Army: since 1941

11. Place of service at awarding: 705 Independent Cable-Wire Company, 6 Guards Tank Army - Medic

12. Place of work at present: Unemployed invalid

13. Home address: Kiev Oblast, Lysyanskii Region, village of Dashukivka

14. Awards:

Designation Serial Number Awarding Organization

Red Star 2.662.993 6 Guards Tank Army dated 14.2.45

CSM 686.450 Coastal Army dated 16.5.44

Defense of Caucasus Medal Edict dated 1.5.44

Victory over Germany Medal Edit dated 9.5.45

Verified by Lysyanskii Regional Military Commissariat Captain Porubaev on 15 June 1946

Award Sheet

Medical Service Lieutenant Fedosiya Efimovna Bugaenko

Medic, 705 Independent Cable-Wire Company

Recommendation for the Combat Service Medal

1. Born: 1921

2. Nationality: Ukrainian

3. Social position: office worker

4. Party membership: Comsomol member since 1938

5. Combat in Great Patriotic War: since 23 June 1941

6. Wounds or shell-shock: none

7. Time in Red Army: since 23 June 1941

8. Earlier recommended for award, when, for what?: n/a

9. Previous awards: n/a

10. Earlier service in White or Bourgeois Armies or encircled?:

11. Home of record: Kiev Oblast, Lysinskii Region, village of Dashukovka

Short description of personal combat feat or accomplishment

On the Kerch peninsula during enemy artillery fire and aerial bombing, Comrade Bugaenko daily conducted numerous medical rounds, rendering assistance to wounded and applying medical treatment to the ill on site, not immediately resorting to medical evacuation.

During the quick advance of our forces through Crimea the unit?s personnel restored line communications to the fighting units.

Moving with a platoon, Comrade Bugaenko provided medical care to the soldiers, enabling the personnel?s work in providing communications.

I am submitting Medical Lieutenant F.E. Bugaenko for the Combat Service Medal.

Signed, Commander, 705 Independent Line-Wire Company, Captain Pivovarun on 30 April 1944

Awarded the Combat Service Medal by Order 072/N of the Coastal Army dated 16 May 1944

Award Sheet

1. Last name, name, and patrionymic: Medical Lieutenant Feodosiya Efimovna Bugaenko

2. Duty position: Medic, 705 Independent Cable-Wire Company

Recommendation for the Order of the Red Star

3. Born: 1921

4. Nationality: Ukrainian

5. Social position: office worker

6. Party membership: Comsomol since 1938

7. In Red Army: since 1941

8. Previous combat: since 23.6.1941

9. Wounds or shell-shock: n/a

10. Earlier recommended for award: yes

11. Previous awards: Combat Service Medal by Order 072/N of the Coastal Army dated 16.5.44 for rendering medical aid

12. Previous service in White or Bourgeouis Armies: n/a

13. Home of record: Kiev Oblast, Lisyanskii Region, village of Dashukovka

Short description of personal combat feat or accomplishment

During the 6 Guards Tank Army?s advance through Romania and Czechoslovakia the company?s platoon supplied communications to the army and always deployed along the lines of communication up to 300km away, however Comrade Bugaenko was always presented where needed by the soldiers and continuously provided them medical assistance.

As a result of an engagement with German submachinegunners near the Litsil-Urze(?) Station, five of 3 Platoon?s soldiers were wounded. Comrade Bugaenko returned them to fighting order without evacuating them to a hospital.

Near Winz-Desus-Bedel(?), three soldiers received wounds from aerial bombardment and Comrade Bugaenko quickly returned them to the ranks. Near Erde-Torcha-Acha-Kosyag(sp?) an entire squad of soldiers likewise suffered wounds from enemy aerial bombing and in a timely manner she rendered assistance, permitting them to be returned to duty in the shortest period.

Due to her employment of preventive medicine, there were no epidemic or other infectious outbreaks in the unit. Despite occasional medicinal shortages, Comrade Bugaenko employed captured medicines on the unit?s personnel and always had everything necessary.

I am recommending Medical Lieutenant Bugaenko for the Order of the Red Star.

Signed Commander, 705 Line-Wire Company, Captain Pivovarun on (?) 1944

Endorsed Chief of Communications, 6 Guards Tank Army, Guards Colonel Sherwood signed 31 December 1944

Awarded the Order of the Red Star by Order 025/N of the 6 Guards Tank Army dated 14.2.1945

Biography Sheet

1. Last Name, Name, and Patrionymic: Bugaenko, Feodosiya Efimovna

2. Born: 1921

3. Nationality: Ukrainian

4. Knowledge of Foreign Languages:

5. Birthplace: Kiev Oblast, Lysyanskii Region

6. Social position: office worker

7. Party membership: n/a

8. Education

General: Bogulav. Medical Technical School

Military:

Political:

9. Service in the Old Army:

10. Service in the White Army:

11. Encircled or prisoner:

12. Promotion:

Medical Service Lieutenant

13. Participation in the Patriotic War: since 1941

14. Wounds:

15. Awards:

16. Family status and home of record:

17. Entered into Red Army:

18. Service

Medic 705 Independent Cable-Wire Company, Crimean Army

In reserves on file at Lysyanskii Regional Military Commissariat, Kiev Military District as of Order 01615 dated 1.9.46

19. Released into the reserves with the rank of:

Guest Rick Research

That's a disappointment about the OPW. :(

I was hoping a delayed processing "for wounds" citation would explain what HAPPENED to her between her last award and being an invalid when her Awards Record Card was filled out. Chances are even if there is a personnel file on a short time junior officer like her THAT would (typically) simply say "severely wounded on XX.XX.4X" ratrher than specify what the injury was.

Sure is frustrating to have part of the story with the rest of the chapters missing.