News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A new one for the aviation badge fanatics out there. Arrived from Germany yesterday. Solid gilded bronze example by the mysterious square punch maker,not marked but certainly from that outlet. Nice detaiI .Ferg1.

036.jpg

038.jpg

Fergus, Fergus you bad guy. I saw this one too. Some days ago i had the same one in my hands from a friends collection and he was not convinced of this one.

First i don't have any doubt because looks close to other ones with good finish. But i compare it to other gilded bronze examples and now i'm not sure what it is.

The gilded is diferent to other ones darker. I don't know what i should belive.

Regards Alex

PS: also the form is anussual

Edited by jaba1914

Hi Alex, I am not in the slightest bit worried about the badge,in my mind it is 100% right,and I am not just saying that because I have spent money on it ! If you look back at an earlier thread started by ' Stan ' he shows one of these exact badges but in 800 silver ( which came from the Adrian Foreman collection). Niemann shows an example ,well the reverse anyway, in his latest catalogue it has the square mark on back of crown and different pin shape but is the same type badge. Weitze also has one at the moment but it is polished to death and as a result loss alot of its detail,but genuine non-the-less. As I said I have no worries with the badge it has a slightly darker gilding than some other marine badges I have seen but I have examples that are just like this too ,normal patination. Going back to the pin detail ,it is the same type as the pins on two of the wide crown Bavarian pilot and observers I have ,both by the square punch mark outlet. The badge shows gilding wear/loss to the front and rear of badge entirely in line with normal use.What worries you about this piece? Ferg1

Hi Fergus,

i saw DNs catalog and sorry i will never use this one as reference for aviation badges. I think you know what i mean. For me is a dealer not the right argument.

Like i told, a never had doubt and at the moment i don't know what i should belive. I saw the silver one from Stan and the similarities. Maybe you are right.

Are you sure that the gilded is loss. It looks like the gilded is still remaining but darker.

Regards Alex