News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello all,

got this very nice photo some days ago and was very surprised to see his medal bar - are there really THREE black-white ribbons first??? Shoulderboard shows a 1 , photograph is taken in Miesbach / Bayern

Any information would be helpful , thanks in advance !!!

Heiko

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch:

WHAT THE ?????????

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Bavarian Bravery Medal LAST-- after a Prussian War Effort Cross?

Can you please make nice BIG scans of that FREAK medal bar, as large and clear as possible.

AND he is a mere ordinary private???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

OK.... I think we see the same...... last place is bavarian bravery , second from last is prussian war effort cross and in the middle is the EK..........

but

are N?1 and N?2 really the MEZ1 and the Milit?r Verdienst Kreuz??? as you say , for this low rank..........?!

I am very sorry , but I still have no scanner ( :speechless: I know - I hate myself....) , so better pics are impossible at the moment , that`s the best my cam can do...

And I forgot to bid on it... lucky Heiko... :violent:

I see a medal bar with MVK, MEZ1, EK2, VKfKH.... but assume rather a China medal in last place. Isn't Bavarian MVM somewhat bigger? Heiko, get a scanner, please...

At first nice pic! Gongratulation Heiko

I?m not sure about the last medal but I don?t think so that it is a china-medal or "something colonial"! The ribbon could match but I don?t like the medal itself! I?m missing the drop shaped ending of the medal, which is typical for the "colonial-medals". I will agree with Rick Research and say that it is the bavarian bravery medal (medal and ribbon match). But only one bavarian decoration and a lot of prussians??

What about the first and second crosses/decorations of the bar? One of them is the prussian Military Merit Cross but which one?

I can not imagine that one of the crosses is a service cross but a MEZ I without taking part on a colonial mission....???

......or he took part on a colonial campaign but did not get the colonial medal. But didn?t normally receive the colonial medals, who were out of service for a time??? This guy didn?t look like an old veteran, for example the colonial campaign between 1884-1903.

Best wishes

Karsten

And I forgot to bid on it... lucky Heiko... :violent:

I see a medal bar with MVK, MEZ1, EK2, VKfKH.... but assume rather a China medal in last place. Isn't Bavarian MVM somewhat bigger? Heiko, get a scanner, please...

I believe that Sascha (who is known to be very good at these matters) is correct. The medal in the last position looks to be a bit small (~30mm?) to be a Bavarian TKM.

Would it have been possible for Bavarians to possibly receive the Prussian Kriegerverdienstmedaille as "foreigners" during the colonial conflicts??? If have never seen this before and don't believe it to be probable, but perhaps it is an obscure possibility???

But looking again and again, there DO appear to be lighter (blue??) edge stripes to the ribbon like a TKM!!!

The mystery continues!

Best regard,

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Would it have been possible for Bavarians to possibly receive the Prussian Kriegerverdienstmedaille as "foreigners" during the colonial conflicts??? If have never seen this before and don't believe it to be probable, but perhaps it is an obscure possibility??

foreigners yes, but not enough... :rolleyes: bavarian soldiers got the normal full size MEZ2 during the colonial conflicts..... see the picture

Guest Rick Research

----------> Get an EPSON scanner!!!!!!

China ribbon usually comes out looking like a Bremen Hanseatic:

the yellow shifts to dark looking, but too many white-red-white-black-white stripes at the sides that all come out looking the same in most photos. I know the medal on the end is small looking, but that has got to be a "Max Joseph" ribbon-- unless it is simply some small town veteran's society medal.

EPSON EPSON EPSON

Would it have been possible for Bavarians to possibly receive the Prussian Kriegerverdienstmedaille as "foreigners" during the colonial conflicts??? If have never seen this before and don't believe it to be probable, but perhaps it is an obscure possibility???

Kriegerverdienstmedaillen were not given to (German) foreign soldiers in the colonies. The only people to receive those were, at least I've never heard of anything else, Black soldiers and police troops.

The very few (Prussian!) Kriegerverdienstmedaillen on black/white ribbons that appear in German groups were given between colonial action and WW1 to non-Prussian EMs. Not for their colonial campaigns but though on black/white ribbon in recognitition of that earlier campaigns. Those who haven't seen warface before got it on white/black ribbon according a decree by Wilhelm II. from december 1st, 1888. I'm not aware of any awards post August 1914 to Germans, but then it became the standard award for non-German EMs that could not receive the EK that wnet to foreign officers only: Austrians, Bulgarians and - have not yet seen but can assume - Turks.

I won't comment any more on this interresting picture unless I've seen scans of it. ;)

Edited by saschaw

Guest Rick Research

"unless I've seen scans of it"

Yeah! Yeah! You tell them, comraid!!! Down tools! Work stoppage! STRIKE !!!!!!!

Peace, Bread, and Epson!! Scanners of the world unite!!

:P

Scanners are so reasonably priced any more that seems odd that a collector would not have one, especially medals and photo collectors. :speechless: I have other collector friends in Germany and France that just seem to be unable to get one. It is very frustrating for their collecting friends, who never get to see any of the nice things that they "supposedly" have. BTW, I have an Epson 3490. :rolleyes:

Chip

Please dont hate me so much........... ;):wacky::o Of course I had a scanner and it is simply out of order and I did not have the time yet to get a new one...... and Chip , don`t panic , you will see some more nice pictures from me from time to time.... my word on this!!! :beer:

I bought mine in 2001, when they were still somewhat more expensive than now. But it still WORKS, for almost a decade... :rolleyes:

And Rick, I have to admit something... it's not an epson!

:speechless1:

Agfa SnapScan 1212, I guess out of order for some years. But works.