News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ULB Unidentified Luft Board

In a recent batch of goodies a I acquired a single Captain board Stabsarzt(silver pips). Light gray waffenfarbe dark blue Nebbenfarbe and a gold medical Askulapstab(staff and serpent) cypher. Is it the obvious? Penal unit staff doctor? I know.....post a pic.......My camera, software, and I are currently not getting along.

• 2 weeks later...

I acquired a single Captain board Stabsarzt(silver pips). Light gray waffenfarbe dark blue Nebbenfarbe and a gold medical Askulapstab(staff and serpent) cypher. Is it the obvious? Penal unit staff doctor? I know.....post a pic.......My camera, software, and I are currently not getting along.

Sounds to me like an Army Stabsartz, Reservist(Or Luftwaffe Supplimental Medical Officer).

I am very happy to see a photo, when you can get your equipment to get along!

Looks like a cousin, I was able to get three pics resized before Camedia blew up.

That is a very nice board. It is either a Luftwaffe Supplimental Medical Officer board, a Heer Reserve Medical Officer board(for a waffenrock), or a Landswehr medical officer.

The thing that has me confused is the use of the silver toned pips. In Vol I of Uniforms and Traditions of the German Army, page 363, it states that Landwehr units utilized teh Heer Reserve insignia, but used silver metallic fixtures. I am confused because the serpent is in gold toned metal. Perhaps the pips were once gold tone and the finish faded?

I love it.

I have a theory. Let's say you were a young egotistical doctor and you wanted to make certain your little "doctor snake" stood out. Use silver pips and every fraulein within a hundred yards will notice you.

I have a theory. Let's say you were a young egotistical doctor and you wanted to make certain your little "doctor snake" stood out. Use silver pips and every fraulein within a hundred yards will notice you.

Anything is possible, but the silver pips were generally reserved for NCOs(except for in limited cases). I would think that a doctor with an ego problem would avoid wearing bits and pieces belonging to the "common man". Gold pips were used only by full officers(not supplimentary or Landwehr types). I do have an open mind however... :cheers: