News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Various - Eastern Europe ODM - A Magpie's Collection

I've just reworked my E. Europe board to include new arrivals. I'm afraid this group will spill over the edges of your prescribed geographical boundaries, but thought I'd put them up here for starters. Details on request. Despite travel to 93 countries around the world, I've only ever been to one of the countries represented on this board (Austria). I've picked them up over the last 40 years in places as disparate as Peshawar, Vienna, London and Arlington, VA.

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

• Replies 54
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Show us more. And show us close ups.

All right, you've given me my excuse. I'll start with the ones on this board within your geo limits, the Yugo states. I am very far from an expert, so I'll welcome your commentaries.

SE01 Order of St Sava, 2nd Class, Neck badge, silver-gilt enamel, in case of issue,

I can't say I'm proud of these (what did I contribute?) but I'm very pleased to have them.

SE01 Order of St Sava, 2nd Class, Neck badge, silver-giltenamel, in case of issue, closeup

SE01 Order of St Sava, 2nd Class, Neck badge, silver-giltenamel, in case of issue, reverse

I'll ask your pardon for the little sticker on the reverses of these; it's the only I can keep track in a fairly large and VERY eclectic collection.

Edited by Hugh

Also, some of you may be able to tell me manufacturers where not indicated.

SE02 Order of St. Sava, Breast Star of Grand Cross, Silver-gilt enamel, Type II, EF , rev,

SE03 Order of the White Eagle, Officer, w swords in fitted embossed case of issue by Arthus Bertrand of Paris, awarded to Lt. Col G. T. Scott, R. E. rev, 2

Guess I should have posted this one first

SE03 Order of the White Eagle, Officer, w swords in fitted embossed case of issue by Arthus Bertrand of Paris, awarded to Lt. Col G. T. Scott, R. E.

Edited by Hugh

Again, if some of you can make corrections to any of my annotations, I'll be glad to hear from you.

SE04 Order of Takowa, Officer, 4th Class, (King Milan I issue 1883 - 1903) in fitted embossed case of issue

I think I know that the red ribbon indicates that this was awarded for combat action. Is that also true for the preceding orders?

SE05 Karageorge Decoration of the Order of the Star of Karageorge, bronze cross w silver rays

Edited by Hugh

And what is the significance of the four figures in the Serb coat of arms? (look a bit like the number "3")

SE07 Medal for Zeal 1913, bronze, 3A PEBHOCHY CAXXBY (Military Virtues), VF

Edited by Hugh

Some nice eye candy.

I'd suggest you post the close ups in their respective forums. Perhaps, these could even be moved to the collector's showcase if you prefer whereby you can showcase your whole collection without the need to break up the close ups. Let me know if you prefer and I'll see if it can be done.

Incidentally what are those pesky blue stickers on the reverse of your orders? In my experience these items tend to damage/corrode the order due to the chemicals in the adhesive and may lead to discoloration or other reactions such as bronze disease etc. Would they not be better off if they were removed before any (further) damage may be caused?

Best best!

Jim

Some nice eye candy.

I'd suggest you post the close ups in their respective forums. Perhaps, these could even be moved to the collector's showcase if you prefer whereby you can showcase your whole collection without the need to break up the close ups. Let me know if you prefer and I'll see if it can be done.

Incidentally what are those pesky blue stickers on the reverse of your orders? In my experience these items tend to damage/corrode the order due to the chemicals in the adhesive and may lead to discoloration or other reactions such as bronze disease etc. Would they not be better off if they were removed before any (further) damage may be caused?

Best best!

Jim

Thanks, Jim,

I'm not fussy about where they should be posted. I just chose a forum which seemed to include some of the countries shown. My intent for the other countries not included in this forum was to post in each forum respectively (e.g., Russian in that forum, etc.). If that's not the best approach, I'm completely open to guidance. As for posting my entire collection, that would be 10 frames of medals about the same size as this one, so I'm not going to undertake that right away. Perhaps as I update each frame.

As for the pesky blue stickers, I recognize the issue, but I use them to keep track of the inventory. I've been using them for many years, and, yes, there is a slight discoloration after years in place, but it's the least destructive method I've found. (I use Elmer's glue to attach them, so that's a fairly benign adhesive - I think). If you or anyone else has a better method for inventory control, I'd be very glad to here about it.

And now, I'll sit back and hope to get some answers to the many questions I've included.

Thanks for your comments.