News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with Patriotic War 1st Class

I could use some expert opinions here on a recent pick up.

I have a few different stars and just received this one today. Unfortunately, it arrive a bit damaged due to poor packing and I may return it, but it did get me looking a lot closer at it upon receipt.

I am wondering now, if the star might have been refinished and or re serial numbered and will post some close ups for examination by those that know more than I do on these awards. If more information is needed, let me know.

Many thanks beforehand for any help!

Tim

Front:

The first, and foremost concern came when I noticed what appeared to be flash or resin in the recess of the sword. Looking through the loop, I see it appears to be some type of lacquer. Never seen this before and it made me question if the finish had been recently redone and a lacquer applied to seal it. Thoughts??

My next concern, if you can call it concern, centers around the serial number and the way it is engraved. I really don't know what is correct and thought maybe someone might be able to look at the engraving style and tell if it's original or currently applied?

The weight on this one is:

without screw disk: 27.3 grams

with screw disk: 40.0 grams

Oh, the only damage is really just a bent screw post that got bent in the mail due to not using enough packing material. :angry: I may be able to straighten it but, if this piece is suspect, I'll just send it back.

Again, appreciate any help here.

Tim

If I am not mistaken Tim the solid back and the serial number indicate that it is a 1985 issue. Here is mine for comparison

From Wiki:

"...In 1985 during the celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Great Patriotic War, it was decided that all surviving veterans of the war would be awarded either 2nd or 1st class of the Order, and about 2,054,000 first class and 5,408,000 second class were issued then..."

Hi Larry,

Yes, I have two other 1st class awards and the gilt has worn more than this one; similar to your piece shown. I have not compared the style of engraving to those two yet and honestly don't know what is correct. Most engraving tools leave a certan tell-tail style to them that often can date the tool. I just don't know what to look for on these.

Here's another one of mine; a bit later in numbers.

Tim

1264133:

Ferdinand,

Many thanks for the response and helping put my mind at ease a bit! I think I carry too much paranoia over from the German (3rd Reich) area of collecting and feel the need to double/triple check eveything all the time. :speechless:

Any other thoughts?

Tim