News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

I hope this is the place for this... if not please feel free to move it. I need to confirm if this is a good one and if at all possible I need at least a "rough" valuation (via PM is fine).

This is a piece I've only seen in a few reference books and such and only from the front.

Juncker had at least two obverse dies. The pattern that they submitted for approval had thin gun mount legs like the badge that started this thread. The other version has thicker legs like Tom's. You cannot compare the two against each other except for the maker mark on the reverse. I would like to see detailed scans of the operating wheel and front leg mounting connection for a better feel of this badge. On the reverse: I have never seen a reverse plate like this one on a Juncker (or any other) badge. It looks hand snipped to me. And the attaching pins are so thin compared to others that I've seen and held. Also, the all round holes is a new feature to me. Usually only the center two are round. I'd love to see a good scan of the mark.

Having looked at the original pics and comparing them with originals I'd say this one is most likely a good one from the first pattern die.

My deepest thanks to everyone for all their help on this one! :cheers:

One quick question... what is the actual name of this one? I hate to continue calling it the Machine Gun badge/patch. :P Is it perhaps the WWI German Heavy Machine Gunners Badge? Or is it the WWI German Army Expert Machine Gunners Badge? I've seen it on the web as both. :unsure:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

My deepest thanks to everyone for all their help on this one! :cheers:

One quick question... what is the actual name of this one? I hate to continue calling it the Machine Gun badge/patch. :P Is it perhaps the WWI German Heavy Machine Gunners Badge? Or is it the WWI German Army Expert Machine Gunners Badge? I've seen it on the web as both. :unsure:

Dan :cheers:

Maschinengewehr Abzeichen

• 6 years later...

I've had a chance to handle and inspect a badge like the one that started this thread.  I have to change my opinion. The badge was cast, not stamped. The round hole at the base of the carriage is drilled.  Probably an old copy. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

Edited by dond