News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Maj.Gen. Ivan Nikolavich Kistosturov

This Red Star was my first purchased of Soviet decoration. I guess I had some beginners luck. The Red Star belonged to Maj.Gen. Ivan Nikolavich Kistosturov. He had a long career from 1932 to 1968. The Red Star is for long service. He had a long list of awards for the war and spent most of his career with the chemical troops. The translation of his service record is over 15 pages. I will post the Red Star, his award card and 2 pictures of him. First up is the Red Star

Guest Rick Research

I actually stood there trying to talk him out of buying this in Virginia last month. :whistle::speechless: It was just a plain ordinary loose undocumented obviously long service Red Star. I still cannot get over prices these days as opposed to circa 1995....

I do remember telling him "it could be anybody's-- they ALL got one for 15 years no matter what ELSE they had." :ninja:

First portrait is as a Senior Lieutenant with the old style branch insignia of crossed poison gas tanks.

Second portrait is as General in the M1954 service tunic for Generals-- pre 1958.

Ribbon bar

Red Banner, Red Banner, Patriotic War 1st, Patriotic War 2nd

Red Star (THIS Red Star), MMM, MMM, Defense of Leningrad

Victory Over Germany, Liberation of Warsaw, Capture of Königsberg

1947 Moscow Jubilee, 1948 Armed Forces Jubiulee.

Talk about beginners' luck, huh? Paul's very first Soviet award, Anno 2009 and just still lying around unresearched.

Ya Never Know Until You Research It..... :cheers:

Great story! :jumping:

I think these long service awards are usually underrated. Al these 40s and 50s long service awards were awarded to officers that had served the entire war and often have really interesting biographies and 'cool' other awards. Quite often these long service awards are just as interesting as a Bravery Medal with a combat citation that had been awarded to a lowly private down in the dirt, but who didn't have any other awards or a service record.